Volkswagon Group of America Internship Program

Date: 2013

Infotainment: More than a strange portmanteau

The office's environment is fantastic. Learning how the electrical workings of a car function has been a great learning experience. Working in a growing and active portion of vehicle design (infotainment) is very valuable. Helped teach me how a full-time job works, this being my first job. Fun hands on experiences.

Summer months are generally slower so at times there was some down time.

Volkswagen has a wonderful atmosphere and you will feel rewarded for your time here. Make sure to stay on task and to talk with colleagues. Conversing with them is where you will get a lot out of your experience. Networking is important so you will want to be friends with them. Don't stress out and you'll be fine!

Advice to Management

I have no issues to report with management. The company seems to be run very well.

Date: 2013

A great opportunity to get out in the real world and understand what a profession in business is all about.

My own computer and laptop to use, my own personal work space, great co-workers, the job experience of a lifetime, great wages, etc.

The only thing I did not like about my internship was how I felt like I was bombarded with so much information in my first couple of days of working here. It got a little confusing at times but at this time and place in my internship, everything seems to all be falling into place. I just wish all of the information could of been spread out along the internship instead of crammed into one day.

As long as you are able to work well with others and willing to try new things, you would be a perfect candidate for this job.

Advice to Management

I honestly don't think my organization could get any better than it already is. My organization does everything in it's power to make me happy and comfortable within my work place and it is great to know how much I am truly cared about at Volkswagen Group of America.

Date: 2013

Outstanding VW mentors provide intern with the necessary tools to succeed in PR

VW Atmosphere in everyday work - Any day and any task from; German lessons to lunch to meetings, showed the values VW represents and how employees are benefitted working for the company. This friendly atmosphere and display of investments in employees has made for an enjoyable internship and shows VW PR as a great team to work for. Wide variety of jobs - The constantly changing tasks and complete overview of the PR department was a huge value to the internship. Being fully immersed in the day to day workings of a PR member allowed for a greater understanding of the profession/company along with the best possible learning experience. Personal favorite tasks included: - Assisting with set up and attending of media events -To me, this was the most exciting and beneficial part of the internship. Playing a role in the planning, executing and tracking phase of an event provided an invaluable learning experience. - 2014 product shots - Assisting with the photography of VW’s 2014 product was another great hands-on, out-of-office work week. Shows a unique aspect of departmental work. - Integration with Internal PR - Working alongside Shaun and Chandra during the all employee meeting was awesome! Definitely a great addition in furthering the internship assisting with an internal PR event. Constant work - In addition to the workload being dynamic there was always something to be done. This made for fun, task filled days that ended very fast. With my past internships this has always been the hardest barrier to overcome. Leigh Anne was always very responsive to my workload by providing new projects. For example, if a day was light she would suggest a research project that would assist with a press release. Not only did this provide me with a task, it allowed me to stay up to speed with what was happening in the department/company. - One of the best management aspects of VW’s PR internship was the ability to continuously keep me involved and working steadily while changing the tasks that needed to be completed. Shadowing Leigh Anne Sessions (sitting in on meetings and media calls) - Very valuable to see the interactions between departments and get an understanding for the role PR plays with VW. The more meetings the better. Very informative and great to see interworking’s of how a company functions. Management of the internship - The way this PR team managed the internship was spectacular! Specific projects with basic guidelines were given which allowed for personal discretion and control. This forced applied knowledge which resulted in understanding the business, corporate culture and problem solving. Feedback was always constructive and everyone in the department did a great job of explaining mistakes. - It was always easy to ask questions and receive answers from anyone on the PR team. This alone shaped the friendly atmosphere and allowed for a relaxed and somewhat ‘stress-free’ environment.

Really tough to pin point. Would have to say overall there were very few negatives if any. That being said there may be a couple areas in which the internship could expand: Another Press event! - The PR team wanted to bring me on another event but unfortunately I have to go back to school before the next one. - Experiencing two or more press events would be very beneficial. This way the skills learned from the previous event can be furthered applied along with the chance to correct mistakes made from the first event. Intern Integration - Might be a cool idea if once every 2 weeks the interns from various departments meet (maybe for lunch) and discuss how their programs are coming along – run by someone in HR? - A combined project to develop an intern handbook outlining interworking’s of company processes and contacts - Example: How to do an expense report, log Kronos hours, scan documents to the computer, employee/department contact info, etc More integration with internal PR - Understanding that one direct supervisor is always better for an intern. Being brought in on some event set-up for internal PR would be another great addition to the program. Allowing the intern to assist in this aspect of PR will further enhance skills and training. As an end result it provides more flexibility for fitting the intern into a full time job position. Jargon - Initially understanding acronyms are tough to get accustom to. In order to speed up the intern’s understanding, explain what these abbreviations mean when coming up in conversation. Not sure if this will be done* Closing interview (Intern feedback) - Could be beneficial to both the intern and the team in evaluating the intern’s term within PR. - One on one where the supervisor discuss what was done well, not so well, what could be improved and what the intern should continue to do (whether that be work on weaknesses improve strengths). This way the intern receives feedback on his or her work experience and has the opportunity to grow from supervisor's observations. - Example of intern review questions: Was the intern a self-starter, and did he/she take initiative? Did the intern complete tasks of high quality? Was the intern able to prioritize and organize tasks? Did the intern demonstrate teamwork and adequate interaction among others? How would you rate the intern’s overall performance? Would you recommend this intern for another internship, or a position after graduation (within the business)?

Talking face to face with another intern I would say the following: Be and stay proactive! - If workload is light, ask for something to do. There is always something to be done. If possible, be first in and leave when your supervisor heads out. You never know when something may spontaniously arise and your assistance is required on a project. This allows to further develop a relationship with your mentor/supervisor while providing valuable job experience. Be yourself! Show your personality and enjoy every moment with the team. They are very easy going, fun loving and hard working people. Do not be afraid to joke in the office but know when it is time to work. You are going to make mistakes so do not worry about it. Mistakes happen. Take ownership of them and correct them. No one is going to fault you if you make a mistake. Just don't make the same one twice! Write everything down! Everything. In meetings, when asked to carry out a project, when learning something new about the company, etc. This ensures that mistakes will not be made twice, you will not have to ask your supervisor how to do something you have already done, you'll know what tasks you have to complete and it will assist in retaining knowledge. Do not be afraid to ask questions.

Advice to Management

Touched on a few points in the "Cons" tab. Personally my experience with the PR team was outstanding! The mentoring aspect of this internship was astonishing! Leigh Anne Sessions was always alongside myself and made available. She was not only able to answer any questions I had but willingly provided insights on; managing, handling office scenarios and other VW business or PR related affairs. This along with providing constructive feedback on a regular basis made Leigh Anne Sessions an outstanding role model and mentor. If all my supervisors and coworkers were as kind and as brilliant at handling people as Leigh Anne Sessions, Scott Vazin, Amelia Fine-Morrison, Mark Gillies and Victoria Gagliardi, I would consider myself very fortunate. My advice would be to continue exactly what they are doing. Everyday was not only a valuable learning experience but entertaining and fun as well. It was fantastic being immersed with such an amazing team filled with people who are not only great at but love their job. As my fourth internship, I can without a doubt say this team has made for the best possible internship experience. My only regret is that it was not longer!

Date: 2013

Exploring aspects of computer technology that you may not have noticed before

The people were great. Most all the employees were engaging and funny. I also enjoyed the new things I picked up on while working here.

I do not like the repetition of the job. However, I do understand that it is likely because my skills are in coding while the tasks are mainly IT so I'm not as able to complete those tasks. It turned out to be much more physical than I had thought as well.

This job is a great way to see what the workforce is like. The experience in this internship for me is more for beginners than for experienced personal looking to increase their knowledge doing actual work. *This, again, may be acredited to the fact that I was not as experienced in the tasks of my co-workers and therefore was not assigned the tasks*

Advice to Management

I really liked the policies here. They are not very strict and the people seem happy about that. Some areas are very quiet and that was a little more gloomy, but overall the dynamic is great.

An experience to remember

Wokring with my manager, she was extremely helpful and a positive influence during my internship. My two mentors were extremely valuable with teaching me skills that will be extremely helpful both academically and in the workforce. Lastly, the entire marketing staff at VWGoA was terrific because they encouraged me to participate in events and ask questions. The team treated me with respect, and made me feel like a full-time employee and not an ordinary intern.

Honestly, I cannot think of anything that I did not like. The experience was great and am looking for opportunities to stay with this company.

When coming to Volkswagen be prepared for a fast-moving, independent, and motivating environment. The teams expect you to act like a full time employee, and gives tasks and projects that are used in real life. Be prepared to work hard, but reep many rewards like networking and experiencing corporate culture.

Advice to Management

Again, the staff is wonderful and I cannot think of advice to give to the team here. They are welcoming and are open to listening to new ideas broght forth from the interns.

Audi- Automotive Excellence

Being around an envirnoment that strives for excellence and nothing less

Nothing at all.

Its very important to be up to date with industry trends

Advice to Management

None.

Date: 2013

Work Hard; Play Hard here at VWGoA! Enjoy working with great people, great products, and in a great environment.

I company culture is astounding. Everyone becomes part of the brand family in little to no time. Everyone has such high energy and a work hard, play hard mentality. Positive attitude is encouraged and feedback is always welcome!

What I like least about this internship is the compensation.

Please be willing to learn. Here at VWGoA, you will be immersed in real-time projects. If you do not understand anything, don’t hesitate to ask the person sitting next to you. They would be more than delighted to work with you.

Environmental Materials and regulations Intern

Learned a lot of about certain environmental regulations that affect the auto industry. It's a heavily regulated industry so its important to keep track of all the legislation in the U.S, Canada, and also Europe. Enjoy becoming a VW group ambassador and also learning about our cars from everything with materials used in manufacture to the drivetrain. It's great to be able to merge both environmentalism and the auto industry together.

At times the internship doesn't seem very structured, but they teach how to keep busy so it is usually easy to find ways to keep busy.

This is one of the best companies I think young people could work for whether you get a full-time offer or not. The experiences and perks here are so different than most internships and the internship will definitely bring some great future career experience.

Advice to Management

The only advice is to maybe establish a better manager-employee relationship. That being said, this place does teach how to become independent and be able to find ways to keep busy. There is always work to do.

A new challenge awaits.

Learning extensively in a completely new area, working in an international environment, developing personal professionalism.

Not enough team discussions, and my knowledge was not put to use because I am not practiced in coding/developing.

VWGoA is a great employer. They will treat you well, and the workspace is welcoming and friendly. The international culture will serve as a betterment to your professionalism.

Date: 2013

Great learning experience with good exposure to state of the art technology

Until now, I really love the work assigned to me and the independence given. The people are highly talented and the work atmosphere is great.

The compensation is a bit less considering the very high cost of living in this area. No good places to eat are close by.

You can get to work on really cool projects and doing work that makes a difference in the company.

Advice to Management

Lesser politics and bureaucracy would be nice. It doesn't affect me now, but there are other people in the team whom it affects and that scares me a little bit.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)