Intern at Southwest Airlines NoLimits Internship Program? Submit a Review

The flight of a lifetime: how interning at Southwest made me adventurous, creative and hard-working – and how this changed my life forever

Dallas, TX | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

You are treated like a full-time Employee from day one. You get to work on real projects and produce real results. All of your work is valued. Not only that, but you get to work with some of the nicest people I’ve ever met. They are there to help you and guide you, and they want you to succeed. Additionally, as a part of the internship program, you get to meet ~100 other interns, some of whom I can guarantee you will become best friends with. The internship program breeds great people and thus great friendships. Finally, everyone' s favorite perk, you get to fly for free and travel the country. You get to see and experience new things with new people, and it is SO fun.

It can be exhausting, because you’re working all week and traveling every weekend (if you choose) – this is barely a dislike, though, as traveling was 100% worth it in my opinion.

Southwest is a great company to work for. The hours can be long and the work can be stressful, but in the end it’s all worth it. It’s worth it because you work hard, but you play hard, and you do it all with great people who always have your back. The culture of Southwest that you read about in textbooks is alive and real, and it’s so fun to be a part of. I will say that it can be hard to get a full-time job at Southwest – it’s very competitive – but if you show up, do great work, take initiative and really prove yourself, they’ll do their absolute best to keep you.

Advice to Management

Southwest could offer more vacation time to new Employees. It’s a tease to have flight benefits but only a few days of vacation, especially as an Employee who works in Headquarters and has a M-F 8:00-5:00 job.

1. Why Southwest?
2. How do you work in a Team?

A Southwest Airlines' Internship is the Takeoff on the Flight of Your Life!

Dallas, TX | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Wonderful company, UNLIMITED FREE FLIGHTS (standby of course), you get to do cool things like the Texas State Fair on paid time (depending on your department, of course). But most importanlty real-life career experience--you're actually learning and doing valuable tasks, not just fetching coffee. Plus, you can learn things that are just fun -- I learned all about operating a plane (from the ground of course). I can't say enough good things about the internship and it's real-life value!

It's full time, which is hard when I was still in school. REALLY hard; I didn't have a life outside work and class. I suggest doing it in the summer, taking a break for a semester, or doing it the semester after graduation. It was so rough trying to work 40 hrs a week and take a full time student schedule. And it's kind of strict -- I got sick and was in the ER, and it got docked against me on my evaluation. Maybe that's just real life, but they don't play games with attendance; even when you're full time and have sick time, you're STRONGLY discouraged from using it. However, I think some departments were a little more flexible with their interns if they talked about it upfront.

See above. Don't try to take a full time school schedule and do this at the same time -- it's really like a job, and it prepares you for the workplace, but it's hard to do it all at once.

This is the best possible foot in the door technique if you want to work for SWA!

Followup and show initiative. If you interview and don't get it, swallow your pride and stay in touch with the recruiter.

1. Why do you want to work for SWA?
2. What overwhelms you? BE CAREFUL with this one... The recruiter later told me my answer sent up a red flag. Rehearse this to make it look like you're improving in whatever it is ;)
3. What sets you apart from all the qualified candidates?
4. What will you contribute?
5. Tell us about a time you created a win-win solution at a former job.
6. What did you learn at *insert job* that will help here?
7. Lots of details about other jobs/activities

Best Summer of your Life

Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

quality of life, friendliness, hospitality, will to work with you one on one, free flights, real life job preiview

nothing everything was amazing

If you want to work one on one with the plane then this would be the engineering job for you. I would make engineering changes and see them worked on by mechanics.

The Best Experience a 20-something Could Ever Have

Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the culture, the free flights, the responsibilities I was given, and the trust my team had in me. At Southwest I wasn't just doing trivial intern work; I was doing meaningful work and felt like I was really able to help make a difference. I learned more in my internship than I did in the entirety of college. Additionally, because of the free flights I was able to have a different adventure in a new city every weekend.

Sometimes my team was too busy to answer questions that I had, though in the end I think that because of this I ended up learning more by teaching myself.

Southwest Airlines is an amazing place to work. The people are great, the culture is phenomenal, and the work you will receive will make you feel like you are actually making a difference within the company. If you ever get the chance to work for this company you should absolutely say yes, because I can promise you you will not regret it.

Why Southwest?

An awesome internship that was full of real-life experiences. The flight benefits, culture, and work-life balance were awesome!

Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flight-benefits, flexibility, culture, work-life balance, perks, networking opportunities, mentoring, awesome people, spending time in other departments for a day, and location.

Does not offer contingency plans.

Make sure to research Southwest Airlines' history and culture. The culture is a very important part that they look for in their candidates.

The flight of your life

Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The flight benefits were great. The culture was the best I have ever worked at. The work was exciting and got to be actively involved in the engineering of SWA. Working in the hanger was awesome.

The pay was very low (One of my supervisors said she made the same pay as me about 20 years ago). The flight benefits were advertised as a benefit, however, when we started they described them more as a privilege.

The work and the company far exceeded my expectations. The things that I did not have high expectations for (the pay and the availability of the flights for the flight benefits) were what I expected.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay. I turned down another offer that was almost double the pay so that I could have the experience. That being said, I don't think you really want the people there working that are just looking to have a fun time but rather people that want to work as well.

Southwest Airlines: A true internship with no limits.

Dallas, TX | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Travel, experience, culture, company unity, people.

Dallas heat.

Be ready to work hard and play hard.

The most fun you never wanna leave

Knowledge in the field

Meeting a variety of people

the culture of the company

non-reving

I felt as if i was not used to my full ability

Be yourself, and be prepared to work hard, but play way harder.

Advice to Management

Let your interns dig into a specific subject more, rather than do busy work.

Southwest Gives the Flight of a Lifetime: Amazing Culture, Great Experience and Free Travel

Dallas, TX | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I felt like I was able to make an impact on my entire Department with every project that I worked on. Of course, one of the best perks was the ability to travel domestically for free.

I had a lot of free time. My Leader definitely kept me as busy as possible, but with the reorganization of some Departments, the interns got less work. It was definitely the timing of the internship and reorganization of that caused the lack of responsibilities.

The environment here is amazing. I have never seen another Company care this much for their Employees, let alone their interns. I was constantly in awe of how accommodating each Employee is. They really love the internship program and Employees see how important it is to the Company. They care about you long after you are gone as well.

Advice to Management

The environment here is amazing! The compensation compared to hours worked and free flights is definitely fair. As far as Employee retention and promotion policies, they try their best to promote internally and hire people into entry-level positions. The diversity here is amazing and Southwest definitely has a universally accepting environment.

The flight of your life

Dallas, TX | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to fly free, experiencing the culture, and the people.

It seemed a little short, but they do offer the fall and spring internship which is longer.

Be yourself and show your fun-luving attitude, servants hear, and warriors spirit. If you can show those things and be yourself then you will be fine.