NASA Langley Aerospace Research Student Scholars (LARSS) Research Internship Program

Date: 2013

LARSS STUDENTS FIGHT THR BATTLE AGAINST ENVIRONMENTAL AEROSOLS & DISCOVERS A BREAKTHROUGH

Flexibility, welcoming environment when working with the new team

Too much intern bonding

NASA's LARSS program gives an incredible opportunities to students across the nation. The students participating are incredibly lucky to be working with such great and influential teams conducting research that may change the world

Advice to Management

Try not to force the interns to meet every single week when we don't have a lot of time in our labs to finish our research by the end of the summer

Date: 2013

Learning and experiencing new things from start to end in an almost perfect internship program.

I loved the lectures and all the events the program held as a group. I really loved the work schedule; there were no specific time you HAD to be into work, as long as you got your work done and completed four hundred hours by the end. I was able to work extra some days and less others. I loved seeing real engineers at work and attending bi weekly project meetings.

I wish there were more program events: tours in particular.

Be open minded, approach new faces, and take risks.

Advice to Management

There really isn't anything I can complain about. I had a great experience.

DEVELOP COMPUTER SCIENCE SKILLSETS IN AN ENVIRONMENT THAT FOSTERS EXCELLENCE

I really enjoyed being challenged with a task that I had never done before. I also admired the people with whom I worked. They were all very intelligent and outgoing.

The facility that we worked in was a bit old. However, it was functional, and I did not think that it was unsafe or unhealthy.

I recommend making early contact with your mentor to learn what you will be doing. You can then prepare in advance for your area of work.

NASA Langley Internship Is Better Than Anticipated

Meeting people, learning how NASA works, learning a new discipline, feeling productive

More tours of facilities would have been cool.

Make sure you get to know people and don't be afraid to jump into something you don't yet understand very well. NASA Langley does a lot of stuff, and it can be hard to see what you'd want, without trying a few new things.

Expericing the Unkown

I was exposed to several aspects of the workforce.

much of the time was spent on research rather than hands on.

lifetime changing experience

Advice to Management

n/a

Date: 2013

Working the business and planning side of NASA

Networking with other students and employees. Own office. Great office mates. Interested in what I do.

Temperature control in the office was terrible. Some communication issues.

Everyone is so open and helpful throughout the department. Never be afraid to ask for help.

Advice to Management

Reminders could be sent out earlier

Molding Students into Well-Rounded Individuals

Flexible hours Relaxed environment

Not enough space for stuents

Great place to work, many opportunities, teaches soft skills as one develops technical skills

NASA Langley: Filled with the Opportunities of a Life-Time

I had so many 'acting' mentors and therefore was exposed to so many different types of work. I have enjoyed seeing what types of occupations are available across such a large organization.

The fact that I had no concrete project ready for me when I first arrived. It made me feel like my presence wasn't necessary. After establishing connections, it is easy enough to find people who want help. Until that point however, it was rather disheartening.

Be prepared with heightened social skills. It is an essential in all that you do.

Advice to Management

It was an incredible place to work! Perhaps they could benefit in the long run, by setting up a better system of 'check and balance' to make sure people are doing the work required.

Date: 2013

Great mentor plus a great opportunity equals a fantastic summer.

I got to work in something unexpected, and get paid to do it! Plus it's NASA and that's killer on your resume.

I really didn't like how disorganized it felt sometimes. There are many things that we are required to attend but there's little notice sometimes.

Go for it. There's no reason to not apply.

Advice to Management

In my department, there are few females.