NASA Langley Aerospace Research Student Scholars (LARSS) Research Internship Program

4.2 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 210 Intern Reviews)

Working the business and planning side of NASA
Hampton, VA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking with other students and employees. Own office. Great office mates. Interested in what I do.

Temperature control in the office was terrible. Some communication issues.

Everyone is so open and helpful throughout the department. Never be afraid to ask for help.

Advice to Management

Reminders could be sent out earlier

Great mentor plus a great opportunity equals a fantastic summer.
Hampton, VA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got to work in something unexpected, and get paid to do it! Plus it's NASA and that's killer on your resume.

I really didn't like how disorganized it felt sometimes. There are many things that we are required to attend but there's little notice sometimes.

Go for it. There's no reason to not apply.

Advice to Management

In my department, there are few females.

Molding Students into Well-Rounded Individuals

Flexible hours

Relaxed environment

Not enough space for stuents

Great place to work, many opportunities, teaches soft skills as one develops technical skills

Fantastic
Hampton, VA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoyed the atmosphere of NASA Langley as a whole and the opportunities to get involved in other learning opportunities on center

I do not like how unorganized the office is that runs the LARSS program. Everything seems to be announced last minute and information does not seem to be proof read before it is sent out causing misinformation and confusing information

This internship is an amazing opportunity and my advise would be to accept as many of the learning opportunities as possible (tours, lectures, etc.)

Advice to Management

The management of the LARSS program needs to be more organized

Expericing the Unkown
Hampton, VA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was exposed to several aspects of the workforce.

much of the time was spent on research rather than hands on.

lifetime changing experience

Advice to Management

n/a

Learning and experiencing new things from start to end in an almost perfect internship program.
Hampton, VA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved the lectures and all the events the program held as a group. I really loved the work schedule; there were no specific time you HAD to be into work, as long as you got your work done and completed four hundred hours by the end. I was able to work extra some days and less others. I loved seeing real engineers at work and attending bi weekly project meetings.

I wish there were more program events: tours in particular.

Be open minded, approach new faces, and take risks.

Advice to Management

There really isn't anything I can complain about. I had a great experience.

LARSS STUDENTS FIGHT THR BATTLE AGAINST ENVIRONMENTAL AEROSOLS & DISCOVERS A BREAKTHROUGH
Hampton, VA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility, welcoming environment when working with the new team

Too much intern bonding

NASA's LARSS program gives an incredible opportunities to students across the nation. The students participating are incredibly lucky to be working with such great and influential teams conducting research that may change the world

Advice to Management

Try not to force the interns to meet every single week when we don't have a lot of time in our labs to finish our research by the end of the summer

NASA Langley Internship Is Better Than Anticipated
Hampton, VA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting people, learning how NASA works, learning a new discipline, feeling productive

More tours of facilities would have been cool.

Make sure you get to know people and don't be afraid to jump into something you don't yet understand very well. NASA Langley does a lot of stuff, and it can be hard to see what you'd want, without trying a few new things.

A great opportunity to stretch your potential and learn new areas of research.
Hampton, VA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Challenging/rewarding work. Friendly atmosphere. Constructive criticism from mentor. Mentor and other professionals had deep enthusiasm to help me understand concepts.

I wish it was longer. Also, I know some of my friends were not challenged by their assignment and completed early and were given only little assignments for the duration of the summer. This would have been unfavorable for me, had I been in their situation.

Consider the countless projects and networking opportunities to which you could be exposed at a NASA center.

Advice to Management

I would suggest the possibility of providing a one day mentor training for new mentors. This will give them some footing in what to expect and how to best manage their intern before the intern arrives. In this way, the mentor can best utilize the skills of the mentee and the mentee feels more connected to his or her mentor.

A fantastic experience to work with skilled individuals to develop my skills in my further education and career.
Hampton, VA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The group that I worked with and my mentors.

I can't say I disliked anything.

NASA Langley is a fantastic organization to work for. I can't say enough about how amazing the employees are and the amount of hard work that they put into the organization.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't offer any other advice because it's already a wonderful place to work.