NASA Langley Aerospace Research Student Scholars (LARSS) Research Internship Program

Date: 2013

LARSS STUDENTS FIGHT THR BATTLE AGAINST ENVIRONMENTAL AEROSOLS & DISCOVERS A BREAKTHROUGH

Flexibility, welcoming environment when working with the new team

Too much intern bonding

NASA's LARSS program gives an incredible opportunities to students across the nation. The students participating are incredibly lucky to be working with such great and influential teams conducting research that may change the world

Advice to Management

Try not to force the interns to meet every single week when we don't have a lot of time in our labs to finish our research by the end of the summer

NASA Langley: Filled with the Opportunities of a Life-Time

I had so many 'acting' mentors and therefore was exposed to so many different types of work. I have enjoyed seeing what types of occupations are available across such a large organization.

The fact that I had no concrete project ready for me when I first arrived. It made me feel like my presence wasn't necessary. After establishing connections, it is easy enough to find people who want help. Until that point however, it was rather disheartening.

Be prepared with heightened social skills. It is an essential in all that you do.

Advice to Management

It was an incredible place to work! Perhaps they could benefit in the long run, by setting up a better system of 'check and balance' to make sure people are doing the work required.

Date: 2013

Working the business and planning side of NASA

Networking with other students and employees. Own office. Great office mates. Interested in what I do.

Temperature control in the office was terrible. Some communication issues.

Everyone is so open and helpful throughout the department. Never be afraid to ask for help.

Advice to Management

Reminders could be sent out earlier

Molding Students into Well-Rounded Individuals

Flexible hours Relaxed environment

Not enough space for stuents

Great place to work, many opportunities, teaches soft skills as one develops technical skills

Date: 2013

Learning and experiencing new things from start to end in an almost perfect internship program.

I loved the lectures and all the events the program held as a group. I really loved the work schedule; there were no specific time you HAD to be into work, as long as you got your work done and completed four hundred hours by the end. I was able to work extra some days and less others. I loved seeing real engineers at work and attending bi weekly project meetings.

I wish there were more program events: tours in particular.

Be open minded, approach new faces, and take risks.

Advice to Management

There really isn't anything I can complain about. I had a great experience.

Date: 2013

Great mentor plus a great opportunity equals a fantastic summer.

I got to work in something unexpected, and get paid to do it! Plus it's NASA and that's killer on your resume.

I really didn't like how disorganized it felt sometimes. There are many things that we are required to attend but there's little notice sometimes.

Go for it. There's no reason to not apply.

Advice to Management

In my department, there are few females.

Fantastic

I really enjoyed the atmosphere of NASA Langley as a whole and the opportunities to get involved in other learning opportunities on center

I do not like how unorganized the office is that runs the LARSS program. Everything seems to be announced last minute and information does not seem to be proof read before it is sent out causing misinformation and confusing information

This internship is an amazing opportunity and my advise would be to accept as many of the learning opportunities as possible (tours, lectures, etc.)

Advice to Management

The management of the LARSS program needs to be more organized

Fun, knowledgeable, excitement

I like having the opportunity to be involved in real world math and science projects. I was able to apply concepts I have already learn and also learn new ones. The whole experience has been very rewarding.

There wasn't anything in particular that I didn't like.

This was my first internship, and it was very enjoyable. I have learned a lot through this experience and been able to able topics I have learned in college.

Expericing the Unkown

I was exposed to several aspects of the workforce.

much of the time was spent on research rather than hands on.

lifetime changing experience

Advice to Management

n/a

Date: 2013

A great opportunity to stretch your potential and learn new areas of research.

Challenging/rewarding work. Friendly atmosphere. Constructive criticism from mentor. Mentor and other professionals had deep enthusiasm to help me understand concepts.

I wish it was longer. Also, I know some of my friends were not challenged by their assignment and completed early and were given only little assignments for the duration of the summer. This would have been unfavorable for me, had I been in their situation.

Consider the countless projects and networking opportunities to which you could be exposed at a NASA center.

Advice to Management

I would suggest the possibility of providing a one day mentor training for new mentors. This will give them some footing in what to expect and how to best manage their intern before the intern arrives. In this way, the mentor can best utilize the skills of the mentee and the mentee feels more connected to his or her mentor.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)