Boeing Intern Program Internship

Date: 2012

Best internship I could have hoped for.

Ability to work independently; opportunity to design parts and experiments; R&D focus

Commuting in Seattle

Be flexible.

Advice to Management

If an intern is hired to perform a specific task then have the computing tools ready for the intern to begin work on the first day.

Date: 2012

"A summer of learning that pays you!"

opportunity to learn, see many areas of the company, hands on experience and projects

Short period of time to master the skills needed to perform at a high level and add value

Great company to intern for. They care about their interns, expose them to intern classes, tours, and many functions. Informational Interviews are definitely encouraged!

Date: 2012

Excellent! I didn't feel like an intern! I received interactive projects with great leadership, it was valuable and character building.

Team, projects, mentorship, and Boeing culture. I had a wonderful team that was fun and supportive. My projects allowed me to work with multiple groups and a large number of individuals; it was an excellent networking and learning experience. My mentor gave great advice and constructive criticism and went out of his way to help me make the most of my internship. The work culture at Boeing that I experienced was warm and friendly, I can't wait to go back.

I had two mentors during the course of my internship, the first was unenthusistic and unmotivated. His attitude, lack of interest, and lack of guidance made my first few months difficult, luckily a fellow team member saw me struggling and stepped in to make the rest of my intership wonderful. However, my projects and leadership at the beginning were disappointing; having a good mentor is crucial to a good experience.

Your experience will only be as good as the effort you put into it. Boeing is a large company with a lot to offer, it can be a wonderful learning and networking experience if you take initiative and take advantage of the opportunities presented to you.

Advice to Management

The only advice I have for Boeing is in selecting mentors, it is essential that selected mentors understand that they directly impact the company's image with young engineers. If your mentor does not make an effort to provide a student with a good experience, they will return to school and tell other students about the awful experience they had. Because of a mentor's daily interaction with the the intern, it is key that they remember they are representing the company. Young engineers who may have considered applying at Boeing might look elsewhere for employment if they do not hear about good experiences from their peers. An intern is there to learn from their mentor, not to do their mentor's work.

Date: 2012

For an internship where your education and knowledge is not only valued but given opportunities to grow, consider the Boeing Intern Program.

Projects, pay, benefits, opportunities to grow and learn

Communication between managers and intern program coordinators. The intern program coordinators made statements about performance reviews but then my manager was unaware of some of their statements.

Make sure to word your resume to include key words from the job posting.. you have to get your resume through the computer system before a real person can review it and choose to interview you.

Date: 2012

Excellent experience for a non-aerospace science/engineering major

Great work environment (people, resources, and facilities), direct contribution to my professional development, possibility of a full-time offer

Housing arrangements can be tricky for out-of-town folks.

Overall a great opportunity to advance your career and learn about an exciting industry. Its surprising the number of opportunities available.

Date: 2012

Real Engineering projects that matter, not busywork or fetching coffee.

The manager was extremely helpful and flexible. I broke my ankle the night before I was supposed to fly to Washington. He allowed me to start 3 weeks later, and I was treated the same as a regular employee. Everyone was very kind and helpful as I got around on crutches the whole summer!

Finding an apartment on my own was tough, as I was coming from Indiana.

Go for it. They are a big company, but I was treated well and not as just another number.

Insightful

Manager involvement with mentoring.

Some mundane tasks.

The intern program is great. It provides many opportunities to network, gain knowledge, and have fun.

Date: 2012

Could not be a better internship experience

I loved not being stuck at a desk all day. I got to move around and tour the 787 and the facilities it is manufactured in. It was lots of hands on kind of things, working with computer programs, and communicating with a bunch of different people from many different fields of work. Everyone is friendly and it is a great company to work for.

Sometimes a lack of communication between managers and intern coordinators, so I was left confused about what was going on.

This internship is great if you love talking to people and meeting new people.

Fantastic Career Development Opportunity

Applying the concepts learned in class and coming face to face with our amazing products.

It is a massive company and just once you think you really understand it, you realize how much more you dont know.

I think it is a fantastic company. It will challenge you and motivate you to be the best you can be.

Advice to Management

I don't think there is much I would change. I loved the experience.

Date: 2012

Learned something new and exciting about Boeing everyday

Boeing had a large intern program, so it was easy to meet other interns. I learned a lot about the company itself. Everyone I worked with was very friendly and willing to help. There was a lot of tours given to interns. I had the opporutnity to go on corporate travel.

It would have been nice to have all the programs and computer software set up when we got there on the first day.

The intern program at Boeing was very organized and provided a lot of opportunities for the interns. The team I worked with was very nice, and we managed to work well together on the intern tasks that were assigned to me. In addition, the hours were pretty flexible which was nice.