AeroVironment 2014 Summer Engineering Internships

Exciting, Challenging, and Fun Summer Internship

Flight Testing, The office environment, the People

Early mornings and late nights.

Show a strong foundation in practical application through joining extracurricular activites.

International Program Manager Assistant

Free food, friendlly staff, variety of tasks

lack of mentorship

Great compensation, freedom to innovate even as an intern, ability to voice your opinions

Advice to Management

I would have liked a little more training for my job

Real World Engineering Experience

There are many great things about the internship program at AV. The first is that there is no busy work given to interns (I've been told this multiple times since day one). All of the work given is meaningful, and the managers make an effort to find work that is intriguing to the intern. There is plenty of help to be found from peers, and everyone I've talked to has been more than happy to share their knowledge. Everyone I've met, managers included, has been very approachable and friendly. The atmosphere is laid back (there's a ping pong table in the lunch room), so the stress levels never get too high. The final pro I will mention is that the company is small enough for everyone to see the impact their efforts are making. It's very inspiring to see something you've worked on and contributed towards in the field, performing at it's best. It's a very simple way to stay motivated about the work being done.

I think most internships are what you make of them. There aren't a lot of activities outside of the office planned for interns, but even so there's always the opportunity to plan things yourself. It's also going to vary widely based on supervisor and task manager: the people under which I am working are very relaxed and don't check in on me much. While this works very well for me, it might not suit others as well.

I really only have good things to say about AV from the perspective of an intern. The work has been fascinating, and it's possible to find work here that doesn't require aerospace or aeronautical knowledge. I feel that this has been a valuable experience and has shown me what it is like to apply my skills in 'the real world' (versus a purely academic setting). I'd say the expectations around here are fairly high, so definitely be prepared to work hard.

Advice to Management

Nothing immediately comes to mind. Different things work for different people when starting out in a new environment, so the fact that the internship program isn't tightly structured works in AV's favor.

Great learning experience

relaxed working environment

No housing expense compensation

Pace yourself, don't rush

Advice to Management

Organize more group activities

Date: 2013

Work hard, play hard, learn lots

Opportunity to work on interesting projects which actually used my engineering background; the efforts put into making the internship program fun (a lot of social-oriented events); watching flight tests of UAVs

Working at the Moreland facility - dimly lit, messy-looking, less people around for general advice / guidance / etc.

Very friendly/social work environment!

Best internship experience.

Everyday, showing up, and being hands on and involved.

There were no cons.

It is necessary to be relaxed and easy going when interviewing and interacting with the company. AV is one of the most laid back companies there are and they try hard to maintain an easy going nature.

Repait Logistics Intern

The friendly co-workers and laid back work environment made my experiance confortable and welcomed. Also it was great that I was able to get close interaction with multiply departments and see how each department interacted with eachother.

I worked by myself often and would have liked more interaction with other interns.

This was one of the most enjoyable employers I have ever worked for. All the employees were friendly and I had a wonderful experiance in my internship.

Date: 2012

A rapidly moving environment with a large amount of satisfaction when complete.

The ability to work with physical flight hardware. The ability go to a flight test and watch the simulations in real life. The amount of trust to work with hardware as part of the day to day job.

The lack of structure for executing a task. The large amount of tribal knowledge about the product versus documented materials.

Spend as much time as possible working on projects in school. It is a fun position to have and doesn't not feel like work. A lot will be expected of you when working.

Date: 2012

Supportive, fun environment with interesting projects that let you succeed

Great co-workers Projects tailored to your skill set and interests Flexibility within project guidelines

Not much to do in Simi Valley Lots of undocumented procedural stuffs

The only real down-side to Simi Valley is that there isn't much to do in the town. Make sure to explore the surrounding areas including the coast, LA, and Pasadena on weekends.

Advice to Management

More documentation of company procedures would be extremely helpful for people just starting out.

Date: 2012

An opportunity to surround myself with very intelligent people working to advance aerospace technologies.

-Lots of support from full time employees -A community that wanted to help me learn -lots of freedom -lots of resources

-The commute to work -Some of the secrecy -lack of intern events/opportunities to meet each other

-Make sure you can live in Simi Valley