Intern at AeroVironment 2014 Summer Engineering Internships? Submit a Review

AeroVironment is a fun place to work

Los Angeles, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The pay was excellent compared to the other jobs a freshman college student could normally obtain. The people seem to genuinely care about each other, I was more than just a worker or "the intern." They offered a flexible schedule when necessary to accommodate other important aspects of my life.

The nature of my department's duty's (part of Quality) tends to cause conflict with other departments.

Most of the people here are friendly and are more than happy to talk to you about their job. It is a great place to learn about engineering from start to finish, from prototype to production.

Exciting, Challenging, and Fun Summer Internship

Flight Testing, The office environment, the People

Early mornings and late nights.

Show a strong foundation in practical application through joining extracurricular activites.

International Program Manager Assistant

Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Free food, friendlly staff, variety of tasks

lack of mentorship

Great compensation, freedom to innovate even as an intern, ability to voice your opinions

Advice to Management

I would have liked a little more training for my job

Work hard, play hard, learn lots

Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunity to work on interesting projects which actually used my engineering background; the efforts put into making the internship program fun (a lot of social-oriented events); watching flight tests of UAVs

Working at the Moreland facility - dimly lit, messy-looking, less people around for general advice / guidance / etc.

Very friendly/social work environment!

Real World Engineering Experience

Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

There are many great things about the internship program at AV. The first is that there is no busy work given to interns (I've been told this multiple times since day one). All of the work given is meaningful, and the managers make an effort to find work that is intriguing to the intern. There is plenty of help to be found from peers, and everyone I've talked to has been more than happy to share their knowledge. Everyone I've met, managers included, has been very approachable and friendly. The atmosphere is laid back (there's a ping pong table in the lunch room), so the stress levels never get too high. The final pro I will mention is that the company is small enough for everyone to see the impact their efforts are making. It's very inspiring to see something you've worked on and contributed towards in the field, performing at it's best. It's a very simple way to stay motivated about the work being done.

I think most internships are what you make of them. There aren't a lot of activities outside of the office planned for interns, but even so there's always the opportunity to plan things yourself. It's also going to vary widely based on supervisor and task manager: the people under which I am working are very relaxed and don't check in on me much. While this works very well for me, it might not suit others as well.

I really only have good things to say about AV from the perspective of an intern. The work has been fascinating, and it's possible to find work here that doesn't require aerospace or aeronautical knowledge. I feel that this has been a valuable experience and has shown me what it is like to apply my skills in 'the real world' (versus a purely academic setting). I'd say the expectations around here are fairly high, so definitely be prepared to work hard.

Advice to Management

Nothing immediately comes to mind. Different things work for different people when starting out in a new environment, so the fact that the internship program isn't tightly structured works in AV's favor.

Great learning experience

relaxed working environment

No housing expense compensation

Pace yourself, don't rush

Advice to Management

Organize more group activities