Dominion Enterprises Internship Program

ODU student rocks the android market with an awesome app.
Norfolk, VA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people and the freedom of choice that I had.

Dress code, and it really wasn't too bad.

Dominion allows the growth of an individual based on his or her needs, not just the company.

What would you like to do professionally?

When can you work?

Advice to Management

None, this really was excellent.

Awesome people, and learning a lot.
Norfolk, VA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, and the experience.

The people.

DE is really looking out for interns , and training them well.

What some of your hobbies.

Advice to Management

Everything was great.

Marketing internship gives a great experience into the automotive dealers industry.
Norfolk, VA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

My supervisors and coworkers were very helpful and pleasant. I loved the location and the atmosphere at Dominion Enterprises.

I wish I had more work to do but it generally kept me busy.

Understanding the products that Dominion Dealer Solutions sells might require a bit of research on their purpose, if you haven't worked in a dealership before.

Have you worked in a dealership? Can you edit blogs drafted by others?

Advice to Management

Nothing

Active
Norfolk, VA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I felt like a full-time employee throughout my internship and was given a significant amount of responsibility.

The only negative was that I spent all day at a desk, but that was just part of the job.

Dominion Enterprises is an incredibly supportive environment and a great place to learn. You will consistently be challenged but helped along the way by incredibly mangers and co-workers. As an intern, I felt respected and welcomed.

1. What types of projects have you worked on in the past? What types of projects do you hope to work on in the future?

2. What is your understanding of the responsibilities of this internship?

It was a very friendly interview.

Advice to Management

I would just suggest that the company provides opportunities for employees for alternate their environment. For example, working at home one day of the week would be nice since we spend our entire day at a day. Or, activities in which we are able to move a little would break up the day and allow us to be more productive.

Great Opportunity to Learn
Norfolk, VA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

working with the team, brainstorming ideas, and being able to ask questions knowing that they would not hesitate to help me.

the fact that i was placed on the other side of a wall in a cubicle by myself. i really did not get to mingle wth the coworkers as much as i wanted.

do not sit your intern by themselves. it makes it a poor experience. make them a part of the team.

Why did you choose dominion enterprises?

Why should we choose you for the position?

What are your strengths?

Who is the main person in your life that has made a difference?

Advice to Management

all of these are good. Just make sure that the intern is feeling welcome and does not feel awkward around other team members

Gain experience with a leading travel media company in the vacation capital of the world.
Orlando, FL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The part-time hours were flexible and my managers were understanding when I had obligations made prior to receiving the position.

Minimum wage :(

They appreciate self-starters who show dedication and a high quality of work early on.

The Reason I changed Majors.
Norfolk, VA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work for the most part seemed like it actually mattered and I felt like I contributed to the workplace and aided the full time workers around me.

I could not stand being in a cubicle.

Get a standing desk.

Ability To Learn On The Job
Norfolk, VA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I had the opportunity to really shape the means of establishing the goals for my internship. I was given a challenge with a few specific objectives and then allowed to pitch my own suggestions for developing a solution. This is my fourth internship in the last four years, and the one in which I have grown the most as an employee. I have done a lot of glorified "go-fer" ing and menial paper pushing tasks in past internships. This one gave me the chance to think critically, feel like a real part of the team, and develop creative solutions. My manager was one of the best, if not the best, I've ever worked for. I was given some reign, and then some critical review.

Chair time. There was a planned 40 hours a week in the office whether I was needed or not, and while my boss was pretty laid back about doctor's appointments, or working from home when I was prepping for a big presentation or the streets were flooding, the office culture is still a pretty rigid 8-5. I think the product I worked on had a less traditional/more entrepreneurial office culture than some of the others at Dominion, but is still a pretty traditional office. I wouldn't call it stuffy, but I wouldn't say it's exactly what young developers, designers, and business employees want [ie. cubes, 8-5, dress code (which has relaxed, but I feel like there's still a stigma around the t-shirt)].

I had heard Dominion was pretty stuffy and not the best place to work from some coding friends, but when I got in I was told that it had "lightened up a lot over the past few years." I would say Dominion today, is not what it had a reputation for five years ago. I was also given a lot of opportunity to experiment, and I hear that is a long standing part of DE culture. Great place to grow.

Where do you see yourself in the next five years?

Do you think you would be a good fit for this position and why?

Can you provide documentation around things that you have done that are similar in the past?

Advice to Management

Think about exactly what each employee is really going to end up doing before hiring (I think a few people quit because they were hired to do HTML5 and CSS only, but ended up doing 1-1 customer training).

More Emotional Intelligence Training. I think it would be great to see Leadership and Self-Deception become a part of the hiring process so there is a shared lexicon around conflict. The Arbinger Institute could certify someone at Dominon to lead seminars around it for about 10k. Would be well worth it, if it became instilled as a part of corporate procedure.

I think if DE really wants to keep designers and developers, they might have to lighten up even a little more. Flex hours, more potential to work from home (especially for people that code). It's not a company designed to woo the Milennial workforce. They could take notes from Treehouse, the startup that was recently featured in a number of news articles for the 4 day work week.

It was a great experience to find out what an online marketing job would be like
Norfolk, VA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really liked how hands on the training was

I was very bored, I could not sit down the entire time for a 40hr a week job

I think the company is great and they really try to have comradery among every department in the building

Market Research job contains a lot of research but willing to be flexible with hours.
Norfolk, VA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

My boss was very flexible with my hours and understood when I was sick or had tests in classes and couldn't come in. They also pay for parking.

All the research I did was boring. I could do it in my sleep.

Each internship at Dominion Enterprises is different. Everyone on each floor does different things so you can't base your opinions off of one internship. Paid internships do more grunt work, while unpaid internships allow you to do projects and more hands on things.

What hours are you looking for?

What are your hobbies?

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)