WS+B Tax Season Internship

Date: 2013

Tax Season Internship

The real-world, hands-on experience I received.

Being the only intern.

WS+B is an amazing place to work.

Advice to Management

The only issue I had was with compensation and how interns at different offices made different rates. I suggest one rate for all interns no matter the office location.

Date: 2012

Wonderful opportunity that teaches what an intern needs to know.

The best aspects were that everyone was very helpful and answered any question I had. I learned what it was like to work in public accounting and gained an understanding of a lot of tax information.

Sometimes it gets frustrating when your not sure how to do something, especially since tax is not an easy subject.

I highly recommend getting an internship with WS+B. It is truly a beneficial experience and a fun place to work. I learned so much and I was only there three months.

Advice to Management

I did not come across one thing that I thought needed changing.

Date: 2012

Real world accounting experience while still having fun!

The corporate culture at WS+B is awesome. There is a great balance of work and play, which is very important to me. I also really like that there is an open door policy, so I can go to anyone, even a partner with a question and everyone is always willing to help. At WS+B, I was assigned "real" work, like completing tax returns and I was able to apply what I had learned in the classroom to the real world, unlike some of my peers who had internships where they did more assiting work such as running errands and filing. I also liked that even though I primarly worked on tax returns, if there was an opportunity I was able to do some work in different areas such as litigation support and auditing. They were also very flexible and understanding of my school schedule and emphasized that school was my top priority.

I would have liked to get more experience in audting. I know this can be difficuly during tax season, especially being a "tax season" intern. I did have the opportunity to do some audit work and go to a client, but I would like to get more experience in this area.

If you are looking for great corporate culture, this is the place to be. It isn't your typical accounting firm where the focus is all work and dry personalities. WS+B also does a lot of activities to give back to the community and various charitable organizations, so if that is something that is important to you, WS+B is a great place to be.

Advice to Management

WS+B is great the way it is!

Date: 2012

Great learning experience, great office culture

I got a lot of real, hands-on experience.

I would have liked to be able to do a little more tax work as well - I mostly did audit and liked it, but I would like to learn both.

I thought this gave a great taste of what the office culture would be like as a full-time staff.

Date: 2012

Learned a lot and worked with really great people

Learning how to do tax returns helped with my tax class in college and it was a great way to newtwork and meet great professionals

It was mostly individual tax work due to the fact it was during tax season

It is a great way to get paid, meet great professionals, and become comfortable doing tax returns. The firm is really great with working with your school schedule and being flexible with the hours you work.

Date: 2012

College student gets real life experience

I really enjoyed the people I worked with and the work I was able to do. It showed me that I really want to be an accountant.

It was a little far from school.

Enjoy your experience and learn as much as you can.

Great corporate culture

Real-life Experience, networking, open-door policy, great culture

Commute, nothing

WS+B had an amazing corporate culture especially for the accounting profession. There is an emphasis on a good balance of work and social life

Date: 2012

It was a great experience. I learned a lot and applied it to me tax class. But WS&B needs a little more work with the training on programs.

Being able to work in a public accounting firm before graduaution to see if this is what I really wanted to do. Happy to say it is.

As mentioned, the training aspect. But it was their first time doing it in a group setting.

Do not be afraid to ask questions. Its better to do that and build on learning. Also, take this seriously. Other interns did not take it as serious and still expected a full time offer. Hard work always pays off in the end.

A rewarding learning experience

The field work and being able to interact with employees out on audit assignments

Lack of organization with assignments. There were some days when I wouldnt have anything to do during times of the day.

Stay organized, take notes on everything you learn and make the most of your time there! It is a great experience and opportunity for full time employment.

1040 tax prep

Learning how to prepare 1040 returns and really understand tax rules and documents

Since it was a tax season internship I had to work on saturdays. In accounting that is a normal scenario!

I would suggest this firm, the people are easy going and understand your experience level. When working through your internship you go from knowing nothing about taxes, to actually understanding what you are doing.