WithumSmith+Brown Winter Internship

Work hard and play hard!
Morristown, NJ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Definitely the people, I was able to click with everyone really well there.

Nothing really. The job position was audit and tax but I was never assigned to an audit engagement.

They teach you everything. I was so nervous going in because I took a tax course but I didn't really understand too much, but they helped me every step of the way. Also, take notes every time you go ask a question so you don't have to bother the person again!

That's a lot of tax returns
Princeton, NJ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The atmosphere was the best part. There was an open door policy and all of the employees were very helpful.

There could have been better training given.

Be prepared to do a lot of tax returns and always ask a lot of questions. Its a great experience and you will learn a lot.

Learning how to do taxes in the real world
Princeton, NJ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The hours were flexible and the people are very friendly. The pay is competitive (not great). Learned how to file taxes like a actual accountant. Everyone is very approachable.

Very short internship. Management occasionally falls on promises.

Don't be afraid to ask questions or for help. Accept every opportunity your given while your there. Learn as much as possible. Relax the job isn't that hard.

Why do you want to do accounting? Number of credits? Experiences? Other questions of the like. Nothing ridiculous

Advice to Management

My fellows interns and I were told we would hear back by a certain date about full-time offers (Red Bank Office) but never did. Following through on promises was an occasional issue here but in general management was good.

Tax Season Internship
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The real-world, hands-on experience I received.

Being the only intern.

WS+B is an amazing place to work.

Advice to Management

The only issue I had was with compensation and how interns at different offices made different rates. I suggest one rate for all interns no matter the office location.

Wonderful opportunity that teaches what an intern needs to know.
Other (US) | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects were that everyone was very helpful and answered any question I had. I learned what it was like to work in public accounting and gained an understanding of a lot of tax information.

Sometimes it gets frustrating when your not sure how to do something, especially since tax is not an easy subject.

I highly recommend getting an internship with WS+B. It is truly a beneficial experience and a fun place to work. I learned so much and I was only there three months.

Advice to Management

I did not come across one thing that I thought needed changing.

Learned a lot and worked with really great people
Other (US) | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning how to do tax returns helped with my tax class in college and it was a great way to newtwork and meet great professionals

It was mostly individual tax work due to the fact it was during tax season

It is a great way to get paid, meet great professionals, and become comfortable doing tax returns. The firm is really great with working with your school schedule and being flexible with the hours you work.

Real world accounting experience while still having fun!
Other (US) | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The corporate culture at WS+B is awesome. There is a great balance of work and play, which is very important to me. I also really like that there is an open door policy, so I can go to anyone, even a partner with a question and everyone is always willing to help. At WS+B, I was assigned "real" work, like completing tax returns and I was able to apply what I had learned in the classroom to the real world, unlike some of my peers who had internships where they did more assiting work such as running errands and filing. I also liked that even though I primarly worked on tax returns, if there was an opportunity I was able to do some work in different areas such as litigation support and auditing. They were also very flexible and understanding of my school schedule and emphasized that school was my top priority.

I would have liked to get more experience in audting. I know this can be difficuly during tax season, especially being a "tax season" intern. I did have the opportunity to do some audit work and go to a client, but I would like to get more experience in this area.

If you are looking for great corporate culture, this is the place to be. It isn't your typical accounting firm where the focus is all work and dry personalities. WS+B also does a lot of activities to give back to the community and various charitable organizations, so if that is something that is important to you, WS+B is a great place to be.

Advice to Management

WS+B is great the way it is!

Great learning experience, great office culture
Morristown, NJ | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got a lot of real, hands-on experience.

I would have liked to be able to do a little more tax work as well - I mostly did audit and liked it, but I would like to learn both.

I thought this gave a great taste of what the office culture would be like as a full-time staff.

College student gets real life experience
Other (US) | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoyed the people I worked with and the work I was able to do. It showed me that I really want to be an accountant.

It was a little far from school.

Enjoy your experience and learn as much as you can.

Great corporate culture
Princeton, NJ | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real-life Experience, networking, open-door policy, great culture

Commute, nothing

WS+B had an amazing corporate culture especially for the accounting profession. There is an emphasis on a good balance of work and social life