Wipfli's Accounting Internship Program

Date: 2013

Terrific opportunity to learn as much as possible, get to know Wipfli as a company, and have a great time doing it.

I loved the extensive training I received; I now feel prepared to start a career in tax accounting and am confident it is what I want to do. I also loved interacting with staff at all levels of the company; the partners were just as eager to mentor interns as the staff and senior accountants. The pay was terrific, the hours were typical tax season hours, and the company did a great job of making sure we knew what was expected of us and still had room for flexibility.

The training was a bit overwhelming at first, but was definitely worth it in the end.

My best advice is to interview; you can get a sense of who works at the company, the type of work that will be expected of you, and the culture you can expect to find. Wipfli offers competitive pay, a fantastic work environment that focuses on taking care of their employees especially when they're at their busiest time of the year, and a very hands-on experience.

Advice to Management

I can't think of anything.

Date: 2013

Learned more in three months than five years in college

My co-workers were extremely helpful and willing to answer any question. I was able to learn an incredible amount of information in a short period of time.

Since my internship was in tax during tax season, the hours got long but that is the nature of busy season. At the beginning there is also a lot of programs to learn and become comfortable with.

The internship is such a great experience and you are constantly learning so much that the internship starts and seems to end too soon.

Date: 2013

wipfli treats interns like real staff

Socials for employees The fact that interns get to be involved with clients.

There is nothing I didn't like

be open to new experiences and don't be afraid to ask questions

Advice to Management

Give more evaluations throughout the internship

Date: 2013

The best internship I ever had

Family enviroment. Good learning experience.

Not well prepare for the internship job

Very good coworker. Partner talk to you and share their experience like a family.

Advice to Management

Training and procedure

Date: 2013

An experience I can use for a lifetime

Being able to gain firsthand experience by preparing tax returns and having the opportunity to work out in the field.

At times work was a little slow so I was to scan in files, sometimes as long as a day.

Everyone at the firm is extremely knowledgable and willing to help with the learning process. There is an open door policy that allows you to ask questions from your peers which help speed up that learning process.

Advice to Management

There is a lot to learn so a little more training would have been beneficial, and also would have cut down on the time I had to figure programs out on my own.

Date: 2013

Great opportunities! Great Pay! Great experience!

I liked being able to work on all different types of tax returns. I felt like I had a lot of different experiences.

I didn't like how little of work there was to do in January and how much there was in April, but that is to be expected. That is just how a tax season is, and there is really no way to get around it.

It is a great organization to work for. Be ready to ask questions.

A Big Learning Experience, Not for the Lazy

Learning how the real world works. Everyone was very patient and always wanted to help.

The amount of work, but it was tax season so it is to be expected.

Be ready to learn a lot and work hard. It is a great firm to work for.

Advice to Management

Training can be improved a lot. Some programs I had to learn by trial and error. I think that could be minimized by implenting a formal training session that utilizes all the programs that are used normally by staff.

Wipfli does great job.

The people of the company and the help they were willing to give.

Fast paced.

The employees are willing to help you in any way.

Date: 2013

Love where you work, Live where you work (From January - April), and work at Wipfli #HomeSweetWipfli

Applying what I had learned in school, and finding out that I actually do know how to do accounting in the real world. Getting experience working in an office setting and meeting a lot of people who are great contacts. Learning a lot of things that I was never taught in school about accounting and about office culture/etiquette

It was stressful at times because as deadlines came up, there would be a much more succinct time line. It was never anything that I couldn't handle and sometimes made the experience more fun, and I also felt a lot more productive.

You will meet a lot of people who want to help you succeed at your internship. You will learn a lot more than you ever thought you could. You'll be interacting with everyone in the office, rather than just the other interns, and you will feel very valued and appreciated. You will come away from the internship loving accounting, not wondering what you had chosen this career path. And it will make you look forward to starting your career and life in the accounting world.

Advice to Management

More communications and follow up on specific jobs/clients would probably be helpful. Sometimes it is hard to know if there needs to be more work done on a project or if there were any open items that were resolved.

Tax season is an beast!

Very good pay. Always enough work to keep busy. Great people to work with. I learned a lot. Good training provided by the company.

Crazy hours. Worked 6 days a week most weeks.

The company is a very relaxed company and very accomodating to individuals when it comes to life outside of the office. They are very flexible as far as hours go.

Advice to Management

Interns need more direction on what is expected of them regarding hours, especially during tax season.