Intern at Schenck Internship Program? Submit a Review

Real Life Experience

Appleton, WI | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture and the people working there.

The whole experience was positive.

Just be yourself if you have to fake it to get the job you will never truly fit in.

One of the most growing experiences in my professional career right out of college.

Appleton, WI | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people were very fun to work with and were understanding that you didn't know much and that you had a lot to learn.

The hours sometimes got long and could be overwhelming.

Get to know the people in the firm. Go out to happy hours or go to events outside of work. That is where you get to know the people the best.

Advice to Management

Split up the training so it not all in 1 week back to back days. The training can get long and hard to retain some of the information that is being thrown at you in such a small amount of time.

Why did I choose accounting?
Where do I see myself in 5 years?
Tax or audit?

Best internship ever.

Milwaukee, WI | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The large range of different returns that I was able to work on and how helpful everyone was.

I would say my commute to work.

I wish I would have known all of the different types of returns that I would have been working on.

Learn something new everyday

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Interns are treated as if they are starting as full-time staff.
-Flexibility with work/school schedule

Sometimes can feel like information overload.

Schenck is extremely flexible with work/school life balance. Don't be afraid to ask for adjustments in your schedule.

A Valuable Experience Designed to Help You Grow

Milwaukee, WI | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Setting the interns up with a mentor was crucial for me. Allowed me to develop a key relationship and ask many questions comfortably. Another aspect is the aspect of inclusiveness with outside the office firm activities. There were many activities that interns were able to participate in that made us feel part of the great Schenck team.

The long hours are a shock to most of us, especially if this is someone's first busy season. We can take it, but we are not used to it. Although this is a con in the beginning, you get used to the hours as time goes on.

This is probably the biggest commitment you have had so far in your life. So commit to it fully, and you will have a great experience.

Advice to Management

I think that multiple performance reviews opposed to just one, would be more beneficial to the intern. I understand that this takes more time away from upper management during the part of the year where time is crucial, but this would be helpful to the intern,

Have you had someone you have been able to go to outside of your school to talk to about public accounting, or someone you've been able to contact about the accounting field in general?

How do you think your school as prepared you for the internship? In what ways do you feel prepared?

Fun environment with lots of real world experience.

Appleton, WI | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting exposure to tax accounting and being able to ask questions about certain issues.

Long hours that we need to work.

Be sure to ask plenty of questions when you are not sure what you are doing. It speeds up the process and you learn as well.

Happily Surprised by an Amazing Experience

Appleton, WI | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship were how much I learned and grew as an individual, as well as the people I got the opportunity to work with.

Getting used to the long hours of tax season.

The people at Schenck are great, and you can tell they really want to develop you and see you succeed.

Great way to gain experience and meet great people.

Milwaukee, WI | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great office culture and nice co-workers. I felt I was doing staff-level work and was treated as a valued team member. I never didn't want to come into work.

The hours got very long during tax season and the workload was sometimes stressful to manage.

The office culture is as-advertised. The training was also very helpful and they really took the time to make it suitable for all new team members.

Advice to Management

I've heard from a few coworkers that full-time compensation is not as competitive (high) as some would like.

Learned more in one tax season than I did in four years of school

Appleton, WI | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The knowledge I obtained and the complete understanding of how an accounting firm works

Nothing in particular. The school/work balance was tough, but too be expected.

Analyze the company's culture before you accept the position.

Rewarding internship with a good regional firm

Appleton, WI | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I think the people were the best aspect of the internship. I learned a lot from the people I worked with and they made work during busy season enjoyable. Great culture in the office that I worked in. Benefits were good as well, felt very well taken care of and respected.

Busy season can be stressful, lots of hours, and it can be hard to get a hold of people with questions and receive help.

Be willing to try different things, try to get to know employees through networking. You are given a lot of freedom and flexibility with work/life balance with the objective of getting things done on time.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to get more face time with managers, but it can be difficult during busy season.

How do you feel about working long hours? How do you stay organized?