Intern at CBIZ and MHM Internship Program? Submit a Review

A peak into life after college

Kansas City, MO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with were by-and-large the best aspect of the internship, the work was very enjoyable as well.

My cons are only related to the fact that I am one of the youngest interns CBIZ MHM has had, as such I do not believe there are applicable as it was mutually agreed that there is more time to develop my skills.

I wish I had know that I can wear a polo everyday before I started, I would have bought more.

Strong Professional Development in a Welcoming/Nurturing Culture.

San Diego, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people that you work with is by the far the best aspect of the internship/culture at CBIZ/MHM.

The people who wish to do tax should do so during the second half of the internship when the second tax busy season kicks off, so they can see and go through a few actual returns.

Nothing and have had my mind blow away with how great of an experience it has been.

Advice to Management

Have yet to have an issue and those few questions I had we properly addressed by those I worked with in a professional manner.

Enjoyed Hours and Hours of Tax Returns!

Akron, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship were the hands on policy and the mentor program. It is almost impossible to understand tax returns without doing them yourself. We were given practice tax returns to learn how to work the systems and to get a good look at everything that could possibly show up on an individual tax return. The mentoring program gave you somebody to ask for help. As interns, you are constantly asking how to do things, because you've never seen a tax return before in your life. The training can only cover so much. The mentoring program gave you a person to talk to and ask for help from them. You also had weekly meetings with them to go over what you're struggling with or what you need to work on more. It was harder to communicate towards the end of tax season, because everyone is rushing around, but they still made time for you.

The weather. I live about 30 minutes away from CBIZ, so during tax season it is winter time in Ohio and that is just a disaster. On our first day of the internship there was a huge snow storm, but it didn't start until about 6:30 a.m. I thought the roads would be fine, because it had just started snowing. No, they were not fine. By the time I got onto the highway and was about 15 minutes from work, the roads were completely covered in snow and you couldn't see a thing. I had to drive about 5 mph in a 65 mph zone and try to follow my GPS to work. I made it on time, but it was definitely scary. It happened again in March and one of the interns couldn't make it in, because they lived about an hour away from CBIZ. My suggestion would be to choose an internship that is not too far from where you live.

I wish I would have known more about the social part of CBIZ. They are a very social, fun-loving group. We constantly have lunches provided and happy hours outside of work to celebrate how well the company is doing. Employees hang out outside of work and go to baseball games and golf outings. Were also really involved in charity work and are always doing fundraisers and volunteering our time to help out other organizations. Knowing this, would have made my decision even easier to choose CBIZ over other competitors.

Advice to Management

The training could use a little updating. Currently, you sit in a room and watch someone else create tax returns and you take notes on it. Like I said before, you have to be hands on when it comes to tax. I think it would be more helpful to interns if they each had their laptops and were performing the same tasks as the person training them. That way they can see for themselves how to do something in the software.

A great introduction to the workforce and what to expect out of a career in accounting

Phoenix, AZ | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I greatly enjoyed the people I worked with and the fact that I worked on actual, meaningful work.

There was nothing that I did not like.

I would advise simply having an open mind and good attitude and the ability to ask questions.

Advice to Management

I cannot think of any specific feedback.

I cannot remember any specific questions, we had more of just a casual talk about my life, goals, and future.

An absolute joy to work and learn everyday

Boca Raton, FL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Received various assignments the encompassed many aspects of tax, CBIZ culture is very friendly and supportive, always learned something new everyday

The coffee machines could be a little better

CBIZ has a very friendly environment. Although it is not a "Big Four", CBIZ has many sophisticated clients with complex returns. The luxury of CBIZ not being a big four firm allows for a more better "work-life" balance.

Advice to Management

Allowing more training on how to do or complete certain assignments or tax returns.

Why did you choose accounting/ tax?
Tell me about yourself?
What activities do you like to do on your free time?
Where do you see yourself in the next 5-10 years?

An amazing experience

Kansas City, MO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Culture/people and flexibility

It was a little bit slower pace during the summer so we didn't always have as much to do, such as if it were the spring

I wish I would've known just how flexible and fun it could be! It is good to look at places other than the Big Four firms because of the perks like this.

Advice to Management

Higher compensation to match the other firms would always be better.

What extracurricular activities do you do?

Interns treated as normal staff and not coffee-fetchers

Tampa, FL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

treated as an audit associate, interesting clients, learned a lot, great management

I can't really think of any.

I live 50+ miles away from the office so the drive was difficult sometimes. But managers and seniors were considerate of my travel time

Always feel free to ask questions everyone is very friendly and wants to help you improve and learn. Very team oriented environment

Advice to Management

I can't really think of anything

N/A I participated in the SLP which I think was my interview

Great internship and real life experience in Tax and Audit Services.

San Diego, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture and the people are the best part about CBIZ.

The traffic on the 15 can get pretty bad.

You only have to have a basic understanding of accounting to do well at the internship. Much of the work is on the job training.

Learn the Audit Process and Culture of CBIZ while Contributing to the Firm

Phoenix, AZ | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with were awesome, and the mix of different activities allowed me to learn a little about every part of the firm.

It was only 6 weeks.

Ask as many questions as you can, and try to understand the overall audit methodology of CBIZ as early in the internship as you can. Be personable, and never turn down an invitation to go to lunch with someone - it is one of the best ways to get to know your colleagues.

Advice to Management

A little more education about the audit process, especially benefit plans, would have helped me understand how my specific tasks fit into the big picture.

1. Pick a time you showed leadership skills, and describe it from beginning to end.
2. Pick work experience, and describe what you learned from it.

Expanding the Pension World One Calc at a Time

Philadelphia, PA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoyed working on a team this year and furthering my knowledge of multiemployer pension plans. The intern sessions provided were also extremely useful.

My experience has been very good. The only thing I would ask for is more feedback.

Everyone is a little quiet at first, but the employees are extremely nice and you shouldn't be afraid to ask them questions.

Advice to Management

Give more personal criticism to help your intern develop their skill set.

What leadership roles do you partake in?
Coke or Pepsi? Why?
How would you describe yourself?