CBIZ MHM Internship Program

Extraordinary Experience in Public Accounting Internship

I enjoyed that the firm allowed me to work both on tax and audit engagements throughout the internship, rather than choosing one.

I wish there would have been more initial training my first week.

The firm and its employees are excellent! CBIZ MHM truly cares about growing an individual's career and network in whatever path the individual feels most comfortable.

Date: 2013

Gain relevant accounting work experience while preparing tax returns and testing audit areas, all while getting paid!

Work experience and development of camaraderie.

Some of the software used by the company seemed to frustrate end users and generate excessive process losses.

Don't discount the relevance of this company/opportunity when comparing to larger firms.

Date: 2013

Busy season - it's no joke in public accounting and the people you work with make all the difference!

Gained a lot of real world experience Made lifelong friends with several of my co-interns Learned that I like both tax and audit Learned what it was like to work in a corporate environment

The forced fun events - including busy season games Internal office politics Direct supervisors - often demanded unreasonable results

The office has a clique type of environment. If you mess up near the beginning, seniors spread the word that you aren't good and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy as they approach you with a negative attitude (unhelpful, unaccomodating, etc). The social events can be fun and let you get to know your co-workers outside of work.

Advice to Management

I think that training was a wasted week - we didn't have internet to be able to get into Caseware or Prosystem. Even though every audit/tax return is totally different, I believe that you could easily put together examples that hit the most common areas (ex. bank statement to cash reconciliation or the completion of a basic individual tax return). Many seniors were frustrated because they had to show us everything - how to open the software, where to go within it, what not to do, etc. The office is not very diverse and I think promotion policies should be seriously evaluated as some are woefully unprepared for their assignments.

Date: 2012

Great internship with real-world experience.

The best part about the internship is that it wasn't busy-work. As an intern we worked on real clients and did the same work as full time associates.

Certain individuals were not the best to work with, but it was a learning experience on how everybody works differently.

You will not be able to find a better internship for real-world experience

Advice to Management

Training could be a bit more extensive, but the help received when asked for was great

Extremely rewarding internship

I really enjoyed that the company trusted their interns to be hands on with large projects. I was really able to get a feel of the company while I was there and the employees were all very welcoming and helpful.

The tax training portion was my least favorite part of the internship. All tax returns are prepped using software but at training we did not use the computer to learn how to prep the returns.

My advice would be to communicate with your superiors on a regular about projects you are working on. If you run in to an issue see if you can solve it yourself but don't waste too much time and get behind before asking for help. Everyone was new at sometime and seniors are more than happy to help.

Advice to Management

I would just recommend updating the tax training so that the tax software is used to prep returns instead of hand writing the returns.

Exposed to Real Life Work, Enhanced Skills to Start Career

Provided an opportunity to better understand the industry, compensated and given a full time opportunity.

I missed the second semester of my senior year in college to participate in the internship.

Focus your attention on the opportunities to grow your careeer, expand your skill set, quality and regularity of feedback and finally, the people that you work with.

Advice to Management

Program runs well and gives a real life snapshot of the life of a public accountant.

Great Experience

Many different experiences and training. The enviroment was great for learning.

The internship had no draw back.

I would say come in with an open mind and be ready to learn.

Date: 2012

Interning at CBIZ MHM: Perhaps the most important opportunity of my undergraduate career

The quality of the people who work there. This exceptional rating, in my opinion, allows the interns to grow in various ways.

I was not able to work on a commerical audit engagement.

If you love learning and working with kind, competent people, this is the place for you.