Intern at CBIZ MHM Internship Program? Submit a Review

Extraordinary Experience in Public Accounting Internship

Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I enjoyed that the firm allowed me to work both on tax and audit engagements throughout the internship, rather than choosing one.

I wish there would have been more initial training my first week.

The firm and its employees are excellent! CBIZ MHM truly cares about growing an individual's career and network in whatever path the individual feels most comfortable.

Gain relevant accounting work experience while preparing tax returns and testing audit areas, all while getting paid!

Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work experience and development of camaraderie.

Some of the software used by the company seemed to frustrate end users and generate excessive process losses.

Don't discount the relevance of this company/opportunity when comparing to larger firms.

Busy season - it's no joke in public accounting and the people you work with make all the difference!

Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Gained a lot of real world experience

Made lifelong friends with several of my co-interns

Learned that I like both tax and audit

Learned what it was like to work in a corporate environment

The forced fun events - including busy season games

Internal office politics

Direct supervisors - often demanded unreasonable results

The office has a clique type of environment. If you mess up near the beginning, seniors spread the word that you aren't good and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy as they approach you with a negative attitude (unhelpful, unaccomodating, etc). The social events can be fun and let you get to know your co-workers outside of work.

Advice to Management

I think that training was a wasted week - we didn't have internet to be able to get into Caseware or Prosystem. Even though every audit/tax return is totally different, I believe that you could easily put together examples that hit the most common areas (ex. bank statement to cash reconciliation or the completion of a basic individual tax return). Many seniors were frustrated because they had to show us everything - how to open the software, where to go within it, what not to do, etc. The office is not very diverse and I think promotion policies should be seriously evaluated as some are woefully unprepared for their assignments.