Armanino Audit Internship, Tax Internship

The level of support, training, and leadership I found at Armanino McKenna during my internship surpassed my expectations.
Other (US) | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The close mentoring, technical support , and culture of collaboration within the firm were some of the best aspects fo the internship.

In reflection, my whole experience, from training to fieldwork to teambuilding, was a positive one. Help was either at my fingertips or sitting right beside me whenever I faced a new task or issue.

Prioritize these as you may, but do consider your access to leadership, training, and mentoring, in addition to the "life-work" balance of the firms you are evaluating. By all means, speak with the employees on the ground and have them address your concerns about the firm.

I learned exactly what it would be like as an audit staff for Armanino Mckenna.
San Francisco, CA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that Armanino did not waste my time with intern activities such as team building, I was exposed to the world of audit. I also really like my co-workers. All of them were very friendly and helpful.

There were no cons to my internship.

Learn as much as you can in those 8 weeks.

An Introduction to the real work of a tax accountant
San Jose, CA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoyed working with the people in the office. They were patient with my questions- and I had a lot. I liked getting to see what accounting work is like outside of the classroom and learning more about the field.

My first week was very slow. I had two days of training, but on the third day all of the seniors were gone for training so there was no one to give or explain assignments. Even the rest of the week was slow, too. It sort of seemed like there wasn't much of a plan for me, later I realized that it was because information still had to come in from the client.

AMLLP is a great organization with people that are interested in your development. It is professional and a great opportunity. To be successful ask lots of questions!

Advice to Management

The organization was a great place to work and I felt included. Just remember that most interns aren't used to a workplace setting so seemingly routine activities are new.

Actual Experience, Actual Learning, and an opportunity to decide if this is what you want in your future.
Other (US) | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best part was that I was not bringing coffee to people and doing remedial work. I was using my knowledge and what I go to school for in order to preform the tasks assigned. I was learning along side professionals who had a genuine interest in helping my advancement in my career and answered any questions I had. What truly solidified my decision to go with Armanino was the People and what made my internship great was all that I learned.

I did not like that they did not offer me a second internship even when I received a high evaluation. They had talked full time offer before grad school came into the picture and I felt if they valued me as an intern as much as they had said they would want to keep me around even if it was for another internship.

Always ask questions. There is no way you will grow or learn from an internship if you don't ask questions.
The people make the biggest difference, if you don't like the people you are working with you won't enjoy your experience so when making a choice think about the type of people and the culture at a company.

Advice to Management

Continuous training of the interns would help. Case Study is a good idea. Getting feedback throughout the process and helping people out.
Also, if you have a quality person. Keep them around. Regardless of what it takes.