As long as sparks are flying in Jacksonville, everything is A-OK with JEA. The community-owned, not-for-profit utility provides electricity to 420,000 customers in Jacksonville and surrounding areas in northeastern Florida. Managing an electric system that dates back to 1895, JEA has a net generating capacity of 3,760 MW. It owns an electric system with five primarily fossil-fueled generating plants. JEA also gets 12.8 MW of generating capacity from two methane-fueled landfill plants. The company resells electricity to other utilities, including NextEra Energy. JEA also provides water and wastewater services; it serves 305,000 water customers and 230,000 wastewater customers.
The cooperative serves customers in Northeast Florida.
The company's power assets include more than 730 miles of transmission lines and more than 6,500 miles of distribution lines.
JEA's water supply comes from 135 artesian wells tapping the Floridian Aquifer and is distributed through 36 water treatment plants and more than 4,200 miles of water mains. Its sewer system operates seven wastewater treatment plants.
Milder and wetter-than-usual weather in 2012 led to a drop in demand for power and water, resulting in a 6% decline in revenues for the year.
Net income also dropped by 6% in 2012 as the result of lower net sales and higher operating costs.
To help meet state regulations for carbon emission control, JEA plans to get 10% of its energy requirements from nuclear energy by 2018, and 30% by 2030. In this regard JEA has signed a purchase power agreement to get 206 MW from a nuclear plant beginning in 2016 and is pursuing additional purchased power contracts.
JEA is also building out more fossil fuel capacity. In 2011 it completed the Greenland Energy Center which included two 175-MW natural gas-fired combustion turbines.
The electric utility grew from a department of city of Jacksonville into an independent authority created by city and county government consolidation in 1967. In 1997 the water and sewer systems (which had been operated by the city since 1880) were also placed under JEA management.