Work at Booz Allen Hamilton? Submit a Review

Strong Firm to Work At

August 2017 | CURRENT EMPLOYEE

Smart people, flexibility to move around, supportive peers/managers, dedication to growth of its employees

Benefits and "perks" could be better. The coffee in the office isn't great.

Comments

This is a great firm to spend 2-3 years at to build professional skills and move over into something else after unless you are passionate about working in the gov space and okay with working on proposals as a way to climbing ranks.

Booz Allen Still A Great Place to Start or End Your Career

March 2017 | CURRENT EMPLOYEE

Prestige, Smart Peers, Legacy Booz Retained, Caring Culture, Innovation-Centric, Work-Life Balance, Top-Player in Public Sector, obvious that senior leadership prioritizes happiness of their consultants, job security, dedication to social impact

Pay, Hardly any commercial project opportunity, lots of staff aug pre-mba, revolving door principle applies here

Comments

Still an incredible consulting firm to start your career here because of its dedication to developing their junior consultants and because their prestigious name which could open doors. Management truly has your back. Great place to retire because it has a good work-life balance. However, maybe not the best place for those in the middle because some government projects could be dull and you just wont get the high salaries as competitors if you dont leave and come back.

** BEWARE ** - Not the greatest place to work

There are no noticeable uppers to mention about Booz Allen Hamilton

Pay - Always lower then competition and your fellow peers. No room for advancement in this area as well once you are locked in and employed.
Benefits - Ever since going public this company has dramatically continued to reduce benefits and it is below average compared to other companies. Very restrictive PTO program with no sick leave.
Management - VERY POOR!!! Lack basic leadership skills. Management lacks in following employee's growth, lack in basic communication to employees, no interest in employee ideas or challenging the employee to better themselves. They lack in giving the employee the chance to move to other projects and definitely they do not advocate anything for you. You are in it for yourself and have to fight tooth and nail to get anything.
Company vision - PROFIT, PROFIT, PROFIT!! Employee suffers from the fact that they are only concerned with the bottom line and nothing else. You are basically a number to them. You are only worth a value if you have secured billable work but once you fall out of billable work, they are quick to let you go. Lack of work letters are quickly fired off and you will find yourself unemployed quickly without any notion from Booz Allen. Turn over rate is very high as once you get in you will see the negatives of this company really quick. On-site client work demands you to 'stay in your seat' and getting any type of training and classes is extremely hard to do.
Training - Very hard to secure once you are client side. Billable hours override any type of training hours or career advancement. Do not look for any sympathy from management either. They don't care.

Comments

Maybe a good name to have on your resume but do not look for a great long standing career option here. Limited advancement opportunities, very little in benefits advantages,

Poor Salary and Management

March 2017 | CURRENT EMPLOYEE

There are no uppers to report at this time as I wanted to focus on what the company is lacking.

Booz Allen boosts themselves to be above the rest and to be part of an elite group of consultants, but the real fact is far from that. Management is distant from employees, company values change too often, company looks only at the bottom line and forgets about the people that bring in that revenue, poor advancement opportunities, salary competitiveness is below average due to the high costs of overhead and expected company profit, and the list can go on and on. Leadership, at least at the Quantico area location, is immature and lacks a lot of the basic leadership skills needed to be an effective and powerful leader. Management changes in this area quite often giving the impression that no one wants to be on this team long. If you are planning on joining the Booz Allen team, be aware that you must negotiate your best possible deal up front as when you get in you are pretty much locked in to a bleak future. Another interesting fact, the turn over rate here at the Quantico team is very high. Not only myself, but 6 to 7 other team members have left the firm and never looked back. This alone gives solid testament that something just isn't right here. Just be warned is all I have to say.

* Advise to Management - Increase leadership skills, look to help employees further their career and help them advance, stay connected and not distant, stop changing core values and company slogans just to be changing them and stick with one and solidify it. Make Booz Allen worthwhile to work for not just for today but for a career long choice. Don't treat certain teams in one manner and others in a different manner due to their location. Stop the double standard rules with employees with more years versus those with little years. We all wear the same badge so it is imperative that leadership ensures that all practices, values, rules and regulations are followed across the board completely.

Comments

Take everything into consideration. Negotiate well for yourself and try to always keep yourself in mind because they will not. Find your own opportunities and advancement options as well. Fight for yourself.

Booz Allen Consultant

March 2017 | CURRENT EMPLOYEE

Work life balance is far superior to typical consulting expectations
No bonuses, which is unique negative trait for the company
Massive company with many opportunities to expand professional network
Numerous outlets for professional development in terms of technical skills
Culture has transformed to match the 21st century: casual dress code, work life flexibility, diversity focused, people focused, positive and communicative leadership

Compensation is far below expectations for management consulting industry
Primarily government clients, which sometimes are different from doing traditional management consulting work
Very centralized operations at D.C. headquarters. Being at a 'geography' location is alienating

Comments

Benefits are mediocre if not below average
Priorities of lower level employees are not aligned with management's, lower level employees focus on product development, executives focus on winning business. Not a pro or a con.

Interview with Booz Allen/Offer

March 2017 | CURRENT EMPLOYEE

Short Interview and decision process. Recruiter was very helpful and straightforward.

Long recruiting process, must be patient. Had to wait 3 weeks to start work.

Comments

Started by applying to specific job postings on their career page. My hiring process was very rare as I was not referred by someone within the company or through a college recruiting event. Once a recruiter got in touch with me, an initial phone interview was done. This comprised of work related to my resume and behavioral questions as well. After this you must be patient, but still be in contact with your recruiter either through phone or email. I think this helped me a lot as well as establishing a professional relationship with my recruiter. Had I not continued to follow up with my recruiter, they probably would not have had me come in for a hiring event (which is what they called it) at one of their offices. I came in for an interview with 5 or 6 other candidates being interviewed as well. From my understanding, a decision for hire was going to be made very soon. My interview consisted of 2 rounds of "speed dating" type meetings with random employees within BAH who worked within the same sector. Know your resume inside out as they will ask questions related to it as well as knowledge of BAH and the work they do in the sector your applying for. They also asked specific questions in regards to how much knowledge I had in the sector I applied for, (in my case Health IT) which I believed impressed them as well.

Two weeks after the interview I received a call from their hiring team saying that they are making decisions for hire and that they were impressed with my interview. A week later I was offered a position.

Not strong for commercial healthcare market

November 2016 | CURRENT EMPLOYEE

Great talents in the firm, deep knowledge assists, strong collaboration culture,

Low presence in the commercial healthcare market, overshadowed by its federal business

Comments

If you are interested in the commercial healthcare market, ask detail questions about the exsting practice

Good company but changing

July 2016 | FORMER EMPLOYEE

Very Talented employees, prestigious name recognition, very diverse group of employees

Hard to remain billable, lots of administrative work, work-life balance, push to gain business

Comments

Booz Allen was a great place for me to start my career. I learned a lot and there are lots of opportunities go to different training courses to help you become more marketable. You have to be aggressive when looking for work after your contract/project ends. The performance appraisal process was tedious. In my case, the salary was good as I had the experience that a particular client was looking for. The Junior Staff weren't paid as well.

Great company to grow with

July 2016 | FORMER EMPLOYEE

Variety of work and clients; Positions all over the world in different geographies. Very talented people to work and learn from. The work can be very impactful and important. Great reputation among consulting firms.

Difficult to stay with company if you are a military spouse and have to relocate every 2-3 years. Not enough remote work available, so the company loses great talent. No seperate vacation and sick leave banks; Just one bank of Paid Time Off (PTO), so if you get sick, you are technically burning your vacation time essentially penalizing you for being sick. Not enough PTO time allotted to make up for this.

Comments

A great company to start your career at or transition to a new type of career. Great professional development opportunities.

Commerzbank

May 2016 | CURRENT EMPLOYEE

- challenging projects
- high exposure to senior management
- interesting and nice colleagues

- limited international presence
- sometimes internal processes take too long
- high focus on cost cutting rather than revenue expansion

Comments

Commerzbank is an interesting bank to work for and well known especially due to its retail and corporate banking presence in Germany.