Newsday LLC

This company brings Long Islanders the news, each and every day. Newsday, LLC publishes the daily newspaper Newsday serving readers primarily in Nassau and Suffolk counties on Long Island, New York, as well as in the borough of Queens in New York City. The paper boasts a daily circulation of almost 400,000 and Sunday circulation of about 475,000. In addition to its daily newspaper, Newsday, LLC publishes amNew York, a free daily that serves New York City commuters, and through Star Community Publishing the company publishes and distributes weekly shoppers throughout Long Island and in some sections of New York City. Newsday, LLC is a subsidiary of cable system operator Cablevision.

Geographic Reach

The company's publications are distributed through both paid and free distribution in various ways across Long Island and the New York City metropolitan area.

Financial Performance

Newsday contributed about 4.2% of its parent company’s total sales in fiscal 2012. Newsday’s revenues decreased by 3% during the year (from $293.1 million to $283.9 million) compared to fiscal 2011. Advertising revenues accounted for 70% of Newsday's revenues and the remaining 30% came from the circulation revenues during fiscal 2012.

Strategy

Like most other newspapers around the country, Newsday has struggled to manage the decline in the print industry caused by readers and advertisers migrating to other forms of media. The paper has done its share of cost cutting through layoffs and other reductions, but Newsday also started charging a subscription for access to its website in 2009. (Print subscribers and Cablevision TV subscribers continue to get free access.)

Ownership

Cablevision acquired Newsday in 2008 for $650 million from publisher Tribune Company. The buyout expanded the media and entertainment holdings of the Dolan family, led by chairman James Dolan. In addition to the cable TV system, the Dolans own the regional sports and entertainment assets of Madison Square Garden.

▲ Show Less▼ Show Full Description


Newsday LLC


235 Pinelawn Rd.
Melville, NY 11747-4250
Phone: (631) 843-2000
Fax: (631) 843-5424
www.newsday.com

STATS


  • Employer Type: Subsidiary
  • CEO: Carter Roberts
  • CEO: Carter Roberts
  • Publisher, amNew York: Paul Turcotte

Major Office Locations

  • Melville, NY

Become a Vault Basic Member

Complete your Vault Profile and get seen by top employers