4.1 of 5 stars Average Employee Rating (of 8 Employee Reviews)

Submit a Company Review
and Get 1 FREE DAY

EY Advisory: Great for Risk & Compliance, growth continues to be a challenge
March 2015 | Current Employee

If you're interested in a career in finance or in any sort of regulation-driven, compliance-oriented work, run to EY and beat down the door until they let you in; incredible brand and network in that space. Tough to beat our Risk practice and our Transaction practice has a solid niche in the market, even if their work and sub-culture are a bit cold/task oriented that feels, well, transactional.

If you're skilled in one of EY's prioritized growth areas (Purpose, Digital/Innovation, Strategy, SAP) - give EY serious consideration. You'll likely need to tolerate a few bumps in the road early on, and an anti-intellectual culture that's off-the-charts on any risk aversion scale (from CEO to Manager levels at least). HOWEVER - if you actually know your stuff and are capable of delivering on what you promise, you will make it through the other side and find a sea of opportunity with a remarkable amount of support and limited (real) competition for resources. Also true to a lesser extent for the Supply Chain and Customer competencies, and prioritized sectors (Life Sci, Healthcare, CPG, etc.)

If you are an opportunity oriented person looking to focus on driving top-line growth for clients, run from EY as though it was on fire. This type of mindset is new and viewed as risky across most of EY. The only thing EY hates more than risk is new. Our partnership continues to demonstrate they will only change when things become so painful that the market has left no other option; and, usually, any option the market leaves behind is pretty cruddy.

The Assurance Service Line spent the first 6 years of Advisory's rebirth finding ways to exert dominance over the up-start business. Though expectations have been set that roles need to reverse, it seems they're having a hard time letting go and allowing control of the firm to fall into some sort of balance.

Comments

Evaluate and digest any stories of "change" carefully. Even almost 8 years in the consulting game, leadership continues to support decisions that run counter to the best interests of the firm as a whole. E.g. Why do we continue to audit Oracle when we could make 1000x more (and likely add more value to Oracle) by building a proper global technology advisory practice? Why do we continue to audit Salesforce.com when we could make 100x more by building a proper salesforce implementation practice?

Unrivalled international network
February 2015 | Current Employee

Most globally integrated of the big 4
Good exit opportunities

Large company means sometimes you get lost in it all
Most people will not make partner

Comments

One of the better out of BIg 4 cultures , great place to start your career!

Growing Strategy Opportunities
December 2014 | Current Employee

Great exposure to clients and executives
Flat hierarchy and open culture
Interesting new offerings and research
Flexibility
Diversity of skills

Compensation a bit lagging
No MBA sponsorship
Lacks strong strategy brand with recruits

Comments

EY is a great place for the driven and creative. We approach strategy with a design thinking lense--digital and innovation are not practice areas, they are embedded into the way we approach our clients' problems. From enterprise transformation and post-merger integration to re-branding and experience design, our teams mix people with design and with business backgrounds.

We are just now beginning to develop our own voice and points of view on major issues that are grounded in true academic field research. It's great to be a part of the shift from selling only experience to selling experience and proprietary insight.

Salary is a little lacking, but we do have a great amount of flexibility in how we balance our workload.

I found this review helpful (3 others have found this review helpful)

Executive
San Jose, CA | 2010 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Comments

I enjoy the culture at EY and the quality of the work opportunities is very high

Mid-level in Business Advisory
Chicago, IL | 2010 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Great culture, great people, strong growth

Extensive travelling

Comments

Very high job satisfaction

Executive in Business Advisory
San Jose, CA | 2010 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Comments

Too much administrivia, not enough client time.

Executive in Business Advisory
Birmingham, AL | 2010 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Firm culture, partner group, flexibility, experiences, teaming

Really just that there never really is a down time where you can catch your breath. The work doesn't ever really stop (which isn't really a bad thing - you have to pay the bills).

Comments

I work for a group of partners whom I respect both personally and professionally, and who I feel have a genuine interest in me personally, and in my career. I enjoy working with and training up our younger team members, and I find it very rewarding to be able to serve my clients.

I found this review helpful (2 others have found this review helpful)

Experienced
Phoenix, AZ | 2010 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Comments

Entrepreneurial practice within a very large company. I have control over my own career and learn so much every day.

I found this review helpful (3 others have found this review helpful)

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)