Work at CIL Management Consultants? Submit a Review

Interesting work, great culture, steep learning curve

April 2018 | CURRENT EMPLOYEE

- Couldn't ask for a more varied range of projects in terms of the industries we cover. Projects are also very short, typically 4-5 weeks but often less, so you cover a lot of ground in a very short space of time.
- Early exposure to high level management and private equity. As an Analyst I have had client contact at the highest level on almost all of my projects, and am actively encouraged to contribute to the discussion in meetings.
- Culture. The office is very young, sociable and lively. We also travel, at most, for 1-2 days over the course of an entire project (another huge plus, in my opinion) so we get to know each other well.
- Early responsibility. As an Analyst I've already gained experience managing freelancers and newer Analysts. If you are ready, and you ask for it, you'll be given more responsibility.

- Work / life balance. Every now and again, you might be put on a very time-pressure week-long project and have to worked well past 12am. However this is tracked and TOIL is given back, and in general the hours are no worse than other consultancies - which is perhaps unusual given that we focus on M&A. There's also a culture of leaving at 5 if you've nothing pressing to do, and CIL's management are very open to working around midweek commitments. So it's a natural downer for the industry which CIL manages exceptionally well.
- Pay. This is the main reason I'm giving 4 stars instead of 5. The base salary appears to be below market rates for strategy consulting. My understanding (and that of other recent joiners) was that the bonus is supposed to make up for this somewhat, but it hasn't so far. It's entirely unclear why the bonus has been less than new joiners expected and, in general, how bonuses are calculated. It seems odd to offer an incentive and not tell us (or at best be extremely vague) about what behaviours they are incentivising.

Advice to Candidates

Overall a fantastic place to start your career. Practice case interviews and get to know our niche (M&A advisory, mostly private equity clients) well. We're looking for good academics, but also real-world work experience and interests outside of work.

Interesting work with friends

April 2018 | CURRENT EMPLOYEE

We're all on very good terms with each other.
The work is interesting and varied.
You get early exposure to investors and management teams.

The hours are unpredictable but you get more control as you progress.
The work is quite desk-based and you rarely stick around to implement what you've recommended.
CIL is well known in mid-market private equity, not so much elsewhere.

Advice to Candidates

Consider applying for the South West office. Earning a consulting salary without paying London rents is a rare opportunity, especially for new graduates. Not a bad place to work if you want to buy a house.

I have learnt so much working here. It has set me up for life.

April 2018 | CURRENT EMPLOYEE

People, culture, the work is fascinating. Culturally flat and open-minded but very professional with exacting standards. Plenty of training and support as you grow and develop, without lots of needlessly sitting in a class room. It is a great business education - like a super-charged MBA.

Not really a downer but the industry as a whole is very hard working, project timescales are tight and they can kick off with short notice. This can mean you have to make sacrifices in your personal life. However the firm is cognisant of this and there is a system whereby excess hours are recorded and you get time back in lieu.

Advice to Candidates

The key is to really commit - CIL does not place limits on where you can go in life, within or outside the firm, so don't hold back. But it can be tough and you need to believe in yourself and have an appetite for the challenge.

Analyst at CIL Management Consultants

April 2018 | CURRENT EMPLOYEE

- Great people, working in a lively office. Open plan office space creates a relaxed atmosphere. New analysts sit side by side with partners - there are no private offices.
- Varied work, analysts have the opportunity to work in all sectors the business operates in. One week you can be working in healthcare and the next on a tech project.
- Short time frame of projects - projects typically last 4-6 weeks and so you have the opportunity to learn about multiple markets and work in different teams throughout the year.

- The hours can be long, particularly towards the end of a project when the deadline is approaching.
- The company is growing very quickly, it no longer has the "startup atmosphere" and is instead moving towards being a bigger corporate in the sector.

Advice to Candidates

I enjoy working at CIL, a lot of the work we do is M&A advisory and not so much long strategy projects. If you are looking to work on a client site for months at a time then CIL probably isn't for you. We work on shorter projects and visit client sites but predominately work from our own offices. I personally prefer this, being on the road for long periods of time doesn't appeal to me. Think about what would suit you, before deciding the type of consultancy work you want to do.

CIL

March 2018 | CURRENT EMPLOYEE

The learning curve is huge, the work is interesting and the people are great to work with.

Like any other consultancy the hours can be unpredictable. As the company grows quickly there are going to be a number of changes to manage in terms of keeping the company culture.

Advice to Candidates

It is a really great place to start you career. The average employee is young which makes for a fun workplace. Everyone is very intelligent and hard working but they also have passions outside of work which they try to make time for.

Excellent workplace environment and opportunities with only minor downsides.

March 2018 | CURRENT EMPLOYEE

Generally excellent working environment, with intelligent and interesting peers, plenty of trust, variety in sector work and opportunities to advance your capabilites. Day-to-day working at CIL is a pleasure.

There are areas for improvement. Hours can be long depending on projects and partners but this should be somewhat expected and is definitely the exception not the rule. Base pay could be better (although this is a necessary hedge due to the cyclicality of the business) and to compensate, bonuses should be better distributed throughout the firm and more transparent in how they are awarded.

Advice to Candidates

A very open firm - be sure to utilise this as much as you can during any interview process. Ask challenging questions and put management on the spot with any worries / grievences that you may have! The company is growing exceptionally quickly, with very little churn and looking at overseas expansion so it is the right time to be involved.

Great consultancy to work for

March 2018 | CURRENT EMPLOYEE

Treat staff with great respect
Remuneration and added benefits are exceptional
Great culture - youthful and vibrant
Excellent offices with employee welfare at front of mind

Work life balance can be difficult for some
Some systems need updating

Advice to Candidates

The benefits supporting the employee are better than what I was made aware of during the process - so these were a real value add.

Great, supportive firm with lots of opportunities for promotion

March 2018 | CURRENT EMPLOYEE

- Really supportive environment and opportunity to shape the firm from the inside out
- Lots of young people and a strong focus on social aspects
- Fast promotion cycle

- Uncertainty of how many hours you will need to work on any given day
- Fast promotions mean you are often managed by people with less life / business experience
- Low awareness of importance of gender pay gap (and opportunities for other minorities) and why it manifests at senior levels of the business held by some employees

Advice to Candidates

If you are an outgoing person who likes flexibility you will do well here!

Amazing diversity, opportunity and I have built up a great set of skills and contacts book through CIL

Partner in Strategy | 2017 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

The people I work with and many of the clients

The deadlines and transaction timetables squeezing too much work into too little time

Advice to Candidates

Working at CIL is like doing a super-charged MBA and will leave you with so many options after just 3 years. You will work hard, learn a lot and make lifelong friends.

Rewarding career with great clients and amazing colleagues

Partner in Strategy | London | 2017 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Colleagues who care for the long term interests of our clients, the firm and each other

Sometimes we are unable to help clients make positive change

Advice to Candidates

CIL is company where you can be yourself and thrive