Overall Interview Rating

Work at Bates White Economic Consulting? Submit a Review

Experienced in Economic | Washington, DC | 2017 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Interview Review

Ideal candidates are those that are willing to learn and become very interested in the types of cases we work on. Even if some candidates do not have the technical background we typically seek, a candidate willing to learn always does well at BW.

For undergraduate we apply two case interviews that are based on actual cases we have worked on. A large portion of the interviews is focused on fit and interest in the type of work we do given that candidates are preselected for their academic abilities. For PhD candidates, the interview process is very similar to an academic institution, including presenting their job market paper in a seminar.

Entry-level in Economic | Washington, DC | 2017 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Interview Review

We tend to hire people who are extremely bright and accomplished, but equally important is whether they are able to work on teams. Most of our work is done in teams, so we would not hire the person who graduated summa cum laude but doesn't seem like someone we would want to work with.

Partner | Washington, DC | 2017 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Interview Review

We are looking for smart, curious, hard working individuals with tremendous desire to learn and improve their skills. Writing skills are a priority, as are data and empirical skills. We work collaboratively and often move people to assignments with colleagues with whom they have not worked extensively. Therefore good people skills that contribute to a sense of cooperation and collegiality are also highly desired.

This varies enormously by position and candidate. Most of my interviews are for PhD candidate recruits and I tend to ask their views about technical questions of economics, about ways they would tackle a hypothetical merger case, or about "outside the box" extensions of their own research ideas.

Interview Review

We are looking for a well-rounded and driven student who is a strong communicator and can problem solve.

- What are some of your strengths? - Tell us about a time something went well? - Tell us about a time something did not go well?

Entry-level in Health Care and/or Pharmaceuticals | Washington, DC | 2017 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Interview Review

Two rounds of interviews. The first round is a case interview that assesses a candidates ability to think quantitatively. The second round consists of two case interviews and two behavioral interviews. We are seeking candidates who can understand the case concept and are truly interested in economic consulting.

Questions asking about a candidate's leadership and teamwork qualities, and a candidates ability to take responsibility for his or her own actions.

Midlevel in Economic | Washington, DC | 2017 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

What was a recent challenge that didn't end as you hoped? What might you have done differently, looking back? What draws you to economics? What draws you to economic consulting?

Partner | Washington, DC | 2017 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Interview Review

Different PhD and undergraduate processes. PhD = interview at annual economics association meetings, then on-site visit. Undergraduate = interview at school or by Skype, then on-site visit.

Ideal candidate displays ability to listen to new problems and/or old problems in unfamiliar contexts, and provide thoughtful answers.

Midlevel in Economic | Washington, DC | 2017 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Interviews include behavioral questions to gauge relevant skills and fit with Bates White's goals. There are also case interviews that explore an economic issue in a particular industry. Unlike some management consulting case interviews, ours are guided through a series of questions and calculations, not free response.

Interview Review

I decline to respond to this question.

I decline to respond to this question.

Interview Review

The firm searches for individuals with at least some data experience. That is first and foremost. After that the firm looks for individuals with high marks in quantitative classes that show a real interest in the firm via their cover letter or emails. Cover letters can really make or break a candidate here. It is most often an interest screen.

Tell me about a recent failure. Tell me about a recent success. What factors affect demand in X industry?