Located in 22 financial capitals across the globe, – Skadden attorneys advise our clients on many of their most important and complex matters, the types of deals and cases that earn headlines, move markets and shape the law.
Working on such significant matters will accelerate your development, placing you ahead of the curve by preparing you with the breadth of knowledge necessary to understand clients' business strategies and find solutions to their most challenging legal dilemmas. The experience gained and impact made at Skadden will create ripple effects that will last your entire career. Let's begin to carve your path.
- Skadden has more matters recognized for innovation than any other law firm in the history of the Financial Times’ U.S./North America “Innovative Lawyers” report.
- For 17 consecutive years, Skadden has been named the top corporate law firm in the U.S. in Corporate Board Member magazine’s annual survey of “America’s Best Corporate Law Firms,” which asks directors of publicly traded companies to select “a firm they would most likely turn to for corporate legal matters of national scope.”
- Best in Chambers USA with most Band 1 attorney rankings, most Band 1 practice rankings and most "Star Individual" rankings.
- BTI "Litigation Outlook 2017": For the sixth consecutive year, Skadden was named a member of the "Fearsome Foursome" of elite litigation practices as determined by GCs, and one of three "powerhouses" in Securities and Finance Litigation — the only firm named to both lists every year of the report. Several additional Skadden practices also were named "powerhouses" in the report: IP Litigation, Complex Commercial Litigation, Class Actions and Product Liability.
- Winner of the "Innovation in Finance Law" award for international firms at the Financial Times "Asia-Pacific Innovative Lawyers" awards in 2014 and 2015; winner of the Innovation in Corporate & Commercial Award in 2016.
- Winner of three American Lawyer "Global Legal Awards": M&A Deal of the Year – U.S., M&A Deal of the Year – China, M&A Deal of the Year – Europe.
- Named the leading international law firm for Latin America corporate/M&A work in Latinvex's "Top Law Firms 2016" survey. Other Skadden practices that received top rankings were Arbitration, Banking and Finance, Capital Markets, Energy, and FCPA and Fraud.
- Named "Law Firm of the Year" for 2016 by Law360 – and received "Practice Group of the Year" awards in seven areas: Bankruptcy, Capital Markets, International Arbitration, Mergers and Acquisitions, Real Estate, Sports and Tax. The awards were given to firms that "racked up victories in litigation and closed the big deals to make their mark among clients and throughout the legal industry."
A Culture of Lifelong Learning
Skadden provides attorneys with specialized training specifically tailored to their experience level throughout their careers — from summer associates to associates to partners to Skadden “alums." Our training programs are designed to give our attorneys the skills, support and mentorship they need to work on our clients' most complex challenges. Our training curriculum reflects our commitment to our most valuable assets — our attorneys.
- Junior associates participate in our full-time Associates’ Comprehensive Education (ACE) program, which provides Skadden-specific legal- and business-skills training during their first few months at the firm.
- Mid-level associates focus on client service, networking, finance, management and professional practice.
- Senior associates and counsel are provided with opportunities to enhance their leadership skills, communication and presentation styles, client service abilities, mentoring, marketing and business development strategies, and networking efforts.
- Alumni are offered CLE programs through Skadden that assist them in maintaining their legal skills as well as empowering them to advance throughout their careers.
- Diversity and Inclusion is a core value of the firm, which we support with training at all experience levels. Workshops and lecture topics include associate retention and pipeline development, working effectively in a diverse environment and serving as allies to colleagues in a diverse workforce.
The firm recognizes that legal skills can be further developed through involvement of non-billable matters that support both Skadden and the communities we serve. For that reason, the following efforts also count towards the firm's hours requirement:
- Pro bono work
- Junior associates may charge up to 100 hours for "shadowing" senior attorneys
- Up to 100 non-billable productive hours credit
As our attorneys gain more exposure to their practices, many work with the firm's career counselors and coaches, staffed both internally and externally, to strategize about their next steps. Whether the associates choose to build their practices at Skadden, transition in-house with a client or to a federal agency, join a start-up, or something entirely different, the firm's partners, coaches and counselors can be a tremendous resource in the process.
Why Work Here?
At Skadden, you'll work on the type of bet-the-company cases and deals that will be featured in future law school case books. But you'll also have a life outside work.
But don't just take our word for it. Skadden is a veteran member of The American Lawyer's "A-List" rankings of the "most successful" law firms, based on associate satisfaction, pro bono commitment, revenue per lawyer and diversity among lawyers.future law school case books. But you'll also have a life outside work.
Why else do associates enjoy working at Skadden?
- Benefits: The firm provides a variety of programs and benefits, including parental leave, domestic partner health and tax gross-up benefits, back-up child care, a reduced-hours program, a flexible maternity leave program, our Sidebar sabbatical program, discounted gym memberships and technology allowances.
- Flexibility: With 22 offices around the world and more than 50 practice areas, Skadden maintains a global presence that affords us the ability to try to accommodate attorneys' interests in transferring locations and practice areas to satisfy professional and personal interests.
- Professional development: In addition to our formal mentoring program, you'll have day-to-day interactions with many of the leading attorneys in your field. Our Attorney Development Partners and Training Committees ensure that associates receive relevant training and mentoring at all levels. The firm's Career Development Program offers career programming and counseling from internal and external resources, and notifies attorneys about professional opportunities with clients.
- Attorney Affinity Networks: The firm supports attorney affinity groups, which facilitate relationship-building among attorneys with shared interests and backgrounds, and provide a rich forum for mentoring opportunities. Affinity groups (formal and informal) are sponsoredby our Asian and Asian-American attorneys; African-American and black attorneys; Latino
and Hispanic attorneys; women attorneys; LGBT attorneys; parent attorneys; and veterans.
Career Options: Limitless
While many of our attorneys spend their entire careers here, Skadden has served as a springboard for judges, professors, CEOs, general counsel, bankers, journalists, authors, prosecutors and senior members of federal agencies. Often, attorneys return to Skadden after gaining additional experience outside the firm, either through firm-organized externships or secondments, or through endeavors pursued on their own.
Our alumni network links more than 6,800 former Skadden attorneys who connect through our alumni website, online directory and Alumni Update magazine. The directory allows for professional and social networking. We also provide a Career Opportunities Program where clients post job listings for alums.