Most people can’t tell you exactly what “it” is, but they say they know it when they see it. At Skadden, our lawyers “get it” — perhaps you have "it"? Skadden is a place for big thinkers. We aren’t afraid to stand out from the crowd — that’s how we got our start — and we pour every ounce of creativity and solution-minded lawyering into serving our clients in 40-plus disciplines across five continents. We aren’t looking to mold the next generation of Skadden lawyers in the exact image of our current partners. At the end of the day, we provide the structure and the resources, but only you can bring it all together in your own career. The lawyers who “get it” always do.
If you think you want clients who make the headlines … this might be the place for you.
Known for their innovative approach, Skadden attorneys work on the world's most complex matters, the types of deals and cases that earn headlines, move markets and shape the law. Working on such significant matters will accelerate your development, placing you ahead of the curve by preparing you with the breadth of knowledge necessary to understand clients' business strategies and find solutions to their most challenging legal dilemmas. When you start your career as a Skadden attorney, your clients and peers will know that you learned your profession at one of the world's elite firms.
Our status as one of the world's best firms is consistently recognized by legal media publications. Skadden's recent accolades include:
- Ranked as one of the top two firms for innovation all five years of the Financial Times U.S./North America "Innovative Lawyers" report – and twice being named the top firm – an accomplishment no other law firm comes close to matching
- "Law Firm of the Year" in both the M&A-related Litigation and Tax categories in the 2015 U.S. News – Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" survey
- Recognition of 16 practices, 26 partners and two counsel in the Chambers UK 2015 guide
- Named the top U.S. corporate law firm for the 14th consecutive year by Corporate Board Member's "America's Best Corporate Law Firms"
- "Investigations Firm of the Year" in the 2014 Who's Who Legal Awards
- Only law firm to rank in the top three for “Legal Expertise” – the category that measures a firm’s ability to provide innovative service – in both the 2013 and 2014 Financial Times “Innovative Lawyers” report for Europe
- "Best Branded Law Firm" by BTI Consulting in 2012, 2013, 2014
- Finalist for 2014 "Litigation Department of the Year" in The American Lawyer
- "International Law Firm of the Year" and "Corporate/M&A Law Firm of the Year" in Chambers Global 2014
- The highest number of rankings of all law firms in The American Lawyer's 2014 "Corporate Scorecard"
- Named a member of the "Fearsome Foursome" by BTI Consulting – the four elite law firm litigation practices that "clients would least like to see on the other side of the table" – in a survey of 300 corporate counsel at the world’s largest companies published by BTI Consulting
- "Innovation in Finance Law" Award in the 2014 Financial Times' "Innovative Lawyers" report (Asia-Pacific)
- "Client Service A-Team 2014" top-ranked firm by BTI Consulting
- Four 2014 "Global Legal Awards" from The American Lawyer: "Global M&A Deal of the Year, Europe/Finland" for Nokia Corporation's sale of its devices business to Microsoft; "Global M&A Deal of the Year, China, Private Equity" for Focus Media's going-private acquisition; "Global Finance Deal of the Year, Restructuring and Insolvency, Europe" in the restructuring of Central European Distribution Corporation; and "Global Finance Deal of the Year, Restructuring and Insolvency, Middle East" for Arcapita Bank's restructuring
If you think you want to be trained by the best … this might be the place for you.
In an effort to inspire a culture of lifelong learning, Skadden provides attorneys with specialized training specifically tailored to their experience level throughout their careers — from summer associates to associates to partners to Skadden “alums.”
Our training curriculum reflects our commitment to our most valuable assets — our attorneys.
- Junior associates attend a new associates’ retreat and participate in our full-time Associates’ Comprehensive Education (ACE) program, which provides Skadden-specific legal and business skills training across the firm’s practice areas as well as a multisession writing course.
- Mid-level associates attend training programs designed to address specific needs as they transition to new roles. The focus is on client service, networking, finance, management and professional practice.
- Senior associates and counsel receive training geared toward leadership skills, communication and presentation skills, client service, mentoring, marketing and business development, and networking.
- Partners participate in programs focused on three primary areas:
- Managing, mentoring and leadership;
- Client development and relationships; and
- Firm culture and strategy.
- Litigation associates participate in a multilevel training curriculum designed to develop the skills necessary to become an effective advocate. Programs are offered at each associate level: junior, mid-level and senior. In addition, all associates attend bimonthly presentations that review ongoing Skadden cases and current hot topics.
- Alums continue to build their knowledge (and receive CLE credit) through Skadden programs, such as seminars, webinars and roundtables.
We also provide training regarding core diversity and inclusion principles, such as associate retention and pipeline development, working effectively in a diverse environment and serving as allies to colleagues in a diverse workforce.
If you think you'll have no life … think again.
We know the myths about working at Skadden. But we also know what working here is actually like. At Skadden, you'll work on the type of bet-the-company cases and deals that will be featured in future law school case books. But you'll also have a life outside work.
Don't just take our word for it. Skadden is a veteran member of The American Lawyer's "A-List" rankings of the "most successful" law firms, based on associate satisfaction, pro bono commitment, revenue per lawyer and diversity among lawyers.
Why else do associates enjoy working at Skadden?
- Benefits: The firm provides a variety of programs and benefits, including parental leave, domestic partner health and tax gross-up benefits, back-up child care, a reduced-hours program, a flexible maternity leave program, our Sidebar sabbatical program, discounted gym memberships and technology allowances.
- Flexibility: With 23 offices around the world and more than 40 practice areas, Skadden maintains a global presence that affords us the ability to try to accommodate attorneys' interests in transferring locations and practice areas to satisfy professional and personal interests.
- Professional development:In addition to our formal mentoring program, you'll have day-to-day interactions with many of the leading attorneys in your field. Our Attorney Development Partners and Training Committees ensure that associates receive relevant training and mentoring at all levels. The firm's Career Development Program offers career programming and counseling from internal and external resources, and notifies attorneys about professional opportunities with clients.
- Attorney Affinity Networks: The firm supports attorney affinity groups, which facilitate relationship-building among attorneys with shared interests and backgrounds, and provide a rich forum for mentoring opportunities. Affinity groups (formal and informal) are sponsored by our Asian and Asian-American attorneys; African-American and black attorneys; Latino and Hispanic attorneys; women attorneys; LGBT attorneys; parent attorneys; and veterans.
If you think big law just isn't for you … think again.
Many attorneys spend their entire careers at Skadden. Others use their experience here as a launching pad for their next ventures. Often, attorneys return to Skadden after gaining additional experience outside the firm, either through firm-organized externships or secondments, or through endeavors pursued on their own. Our alumni include judges, professors, chief executives, general counsel, bankers, journalists, prosecutors, prominent members of federal agencies and a variety of other professionals outside the legal field.
Our alumni network links more than 5,300 former Skadden attorneys who connect through our alumni website, online directory and Alumni Update magazine. The directory allows for professional and social networking. We also provide a Career Opportunities Program where clients post job listings that alums can search.