Most people can’t tell you exactly what “it” is, but they say they know it when they see it. At Skadden, our lawyers “get it” — perhaps you have "it"? Skadden is a place for big thinkers. We aren’t afraid to stand out from the crowd — that’s how we got our start — and we pour every ounce of creativity and solution-minded lawyering into serving our clients in 50-plus disciplines across four continents. We aren’t looking to mold the next generation of Skadden lawyers in the exact image of our current partners. At the end of the day, we provide the structure and the resources, but only you can bring it all together in your own career. The lawyers who “get it” always do.
If you think you want clients who make the headlines … this might be the place for you.
Known for their innovative approach, Skadden attorneys work on the world's most complex matters, the types of deals and cases that earn headlines, move markets and shape the law. Working on such significant matters will accelerate your development, placing you ahead of the curve by preparing you with the breadth of knowledge necessary to understand clients' business strategies and find solutions to their most challenging legal dilemmas. When you start your career as a Skadden attorney, your clients and peers will know that you learned your profession at one of the world's elite firms.
- Our status as one of the world's best firms is consistently recognized by legal media publications. Skadden's recent accolades include: For the third time in six years, the Financial Times' "Innovative Lawyers" report named Skadden the most innovative law firm in North America. Skadden has ranked either first or second in each of the FT's six annual U.S./North America "Innovative Lawyers" reports — an accomplishment no other firm comes close to matching
- Named the top U.S. corporate law firm for the 15th consecutive year by Corporate Board Member magazine
- The only law firm to rank in the top three for “Legal Expertise” — the category that measures a firm’s ability to provide innovative service — in the 2013, 2014 and 2015 Financial Times' “Innovative Lawyers” report for Europe
- Named the "Best-Branded Law Firm" for the fifth consecutive year in the 2016 "BTI Brand Elite" client report
- Best in Chambers USA 2015 with most Band 1 practice rankings, most Band 1 attorney rankings and most "Star" rankings
- BTI "Litigation Outlook 2016": For fifth consecutive year, named a member of the BTI "Fearsome Foursome" of elite litigation practices as determined by GCs and one of three "powerhouses" in Securities and Finance Litigation — the only firm named to both lists every year of the report
- Winner of the "Innovation in Finance Law" award for international firms at the Financial Times "Asia-Pacific Innovative Lawyers" awards. We have won the award both years since its inception
- Winner of four American Lawyer "Global Legal Awards" across our M&A, Disputes and Pro Bono practices
- "Law Firm of the Year," "Practice of the Year" and "Deal of the Year" awards in 2015 and 2016 for Banking, Bankruptcy/Restructuring, Capital Markets, Insurance, Investigations, Litigation, M&A, Private Equity, Project Finance, Real Estate, Sports, Tax and Technology — across Asia, Europe, Latin America and the U.S., according to various business and legal publications
If you think you want to be trained by the best … this might be the place for you.
In an effort to inspire a culture of lifelong learning, Skadden provides attorneys with specialized training specifically tailored to their experience level throughout their careers — from summer associates to associates to partners to Skadden “alums.”
Our training curriculum reflects our commitment to our most valuable assets — our attorneys.
- Junior associates attend a retreat and participate in our full-time Associates’ Comprehensive Education (ACE) program, which provides Skadden-specific legal- and business-skills training across the firm’s practice areas as well as a multi-session writing course.
- Mid-level associates attend training programs designed to address specific needs as they transition to new roles. The focus is on client service, networking, finance, management and professional practice.
- Senior associates and counsel receive training geared toward leadership skills, communication and presentation skills, client service, mentoring, marketing and business development and networking.
- Partners participate in programs focused on three primary areas:
- Managing, mentoring and leadership;
- Client development; and
- Firm culture and strategy.
- Litigation associates participate in a multilevel training curriculum designed to develop the skills necessary to become an effective advocate. Programs are offered at each associate level: junior, mid-level and senior. In addition, all associates attend bi-monthly presentations that review ongoing Skadden cases and current hot topics.
- Alums continue to build their knowledge (and receive CLE credit) through Skadden programs, such as seminars, webinars and roundtables.
We also provide training regarding core diversity and inclusion principles, such as associate retention and pipeline development, working effectively in a diverse environment and serving as allies to colleagues in a diverse workforce.
If you think you'll have no life … think again.
We know the myths about working at Skadden. But we also know what working here is actually like. At Skadden, you'll work on the type of bet-the-company cases and deals that will be featured in future law school case books. But you'll also have a life outside work.
Don't just take our word for it. Skadden is a veteran member of The American Lawyer's "A-List" rankings of the "most successful" law firms, based on associate satisfaction, pro bono commitment, revenue per lawyer and diversity among lawyers.
Why else do associates enjoy working at Skadden?
- Benefits: The firm provides a variety of programs and benefits, including parental leave, domestic partner health and tax gross-up benefits, back-up child care, a reduced-hours program, a flexible maternity leave program, our Sidebar sabbatical program, discounted gym memberships and technology allowances.
- Flexibility: With 22 offices around the world and more than 50 practice areas, Skadden maintains a global presence that affords us the ability to try to accommodate attorneys' interests in transferring locations and practice areas to satisfy professional and personal interests.
- Professional development: In addition to our formal mentoring program, you'll have day-to-day interactions with many of the leading attorneys in your field. Our Attorney Development Partners and Training Committees ensure that associates receive relevant training and mentoring at all levels. The firm's Career Development Program offers career programming and counseling from internal and external resources, and notifies attorneys about professional opportunities with clients.
- Attorney Affinity Networks: The firm supports attorney affinity groups, which facilitate relationship-building among attorneys with shared interests and backgrounds, and provide a rich forum for mentoring opportunities. Affinity groups (formal and informal) are sponsored by our Asian and Asian-American attorneys; African-American and black attorneys; Latino and Hispanic attorneys; women attorneys; LGBT attorneys; parent attorneys; and veterans.
If you think big law just isn't for you … think again.
Many attorneys spend their entire careers at Skadden. Others use their experience here as a launching pad for their next ventures. Often, attorneys return to Skadden after gaining additional experience outside the firm, either through firm-organized externships or secondments, or through endeavors pursued on their own. Our alumni include judges, professors, chief executives, general counsel, bankers, journalists, prosecutors, prominent members of federal agencies and a variety of other professionals outside the legal field.
Our alumni network links more than 6,800 former Skadden attorneys who connect through our alumni website, online directory and Alumni Update magazine. The directory allows for professional and social networking. We also provide a Career Opportunities Program where clients post job listings for alums.