GPS for the Financial Services Industry
As a full-service law firm for the financial services industry, Schulte Roth & Zabel provides a multi-disciplinary approach to a large and impressive array of global and forward-thinking institutional, entrepreneurial and individual clients. Schulte regularly advises clients on investment management, corporate and transactional matters, as well as providing counsel on securities regulatory compliance, enforcement and investigative issues. Schulte's handling of widely recognized deals — all extremely complex matters involving multitudes of lawyers working across practice areas — speak to our wide-ranging capabilities, from domestic and cross-border acquisitions to high-stakes litigations, multilayered financings, high-profile real estate deals, debt restructurings, and estate and trust administration, to name a few of the matters for which clients seek our services. In addition:
- Schulte is the market-leading law firm in the alternative investment area. We helped pioneer the hedge fund industry over 45 years ago, and today, we represent over half of the world's top 100 largest hedge funds ranked by Institutional Investor Alpha's Hedge Fund 100 list and more than 400 fund managers as well as thousands of investment funds globally. By comparison, many of the world's leading funds turn to Schulte for counsel over other firms.
- We serve our clients from strategically located offices in New York and London — the twin capitals of the finance world. We also have a Washington, D.C. office to better represent the interests of clients whose increased economic clout brings with it heightened regulatory scrutiny.
- Our specialties include bank regulatory; bankruptcy & creditors' rights litigation; broker-dealer regulatory & enforcement; business reorganization; complex commercial litigation; cybersecurity; distressed debt & claims trading; distressed investing; education law; employment & employee benefits; energy; environmental; finance; financial institutions; individual client services; insurance; intellectual property, sourcing & technology; investment management; litigation; mergers & acquisitions; PIPEs; private equity; real estate; real estate capital markets & REITs; real estate litigation; regulated funds; regulatory & compliance; securities & capital markets; securities enforcement; securities litigation; shareholder activism; structured finance & derivatives; tax; trading agreements; and white collar defense & government investigations.
- Read more about Schulte's practices.
You'll Fall for Our Summer Program
There is no substitute for hands-on experience. At Schulte, our summer associate program is designed to allow students to explore various areas of interest, get immersed in the firm culture and gain firsthand knowledge of what they will see as junior associates. Highlights of Schulte's summer associate program consist of:
- Substantive assignments from practice groups of choice during two assigning periods and interaction with Schulte's clients as well as work on complex projects.
- A week-long pro bono internship on-site with one of Schulte's long-standing pro bono client organizations.
- Participation in an M&A negotiation workshop and a trial advocacy workshop.
- A strong mentoring network, including an associate buddy, partner advisor and an additional mentor from the firm's Summer Program Committee.
- Regular training lunches offer insight and transparency into the firm's management and leadership, including "The History of the Firm" from Founding Partner Paul N. Roth, "The Business of Law" with members of our Operating Committee, and "Ask Us Anything" sessions with the co-chairs of the summer associate program.
In addition to our top-notch training programs and practical work experience, we offer fun and exciting social activities. These social activities allow Schulte's summer associates to spend time with their associate and partner mentors, develop relationships with our lawyers and get to know their colleagues outside of the office. Highlights include:
- The 2015 summer associate program featured events such as a luxury box at a Yankee game, go-karting, Shakespeare in Central Park, cooking and mixology classes, suites at the Nicki Minaj concert and a viewing of the hit Broadway show, Hamilton — just to name a few.
- Our summer associate program is consistently ranked among the best in The American Lawyer (#6 in 2015) and also among the "most fun" programs by Vault (#1 in 2015).
- Most importantly, our summer associates leave with a realistic sense of what associate life at Schulte is all about.
- For more information visit Schulte's careers website.
Fully Committed to Fostering Your Growth
Our career development and education programs for substantive areas of the law, as well as for overall business development, and the commitment of partners to mentoring-type projects, demonstrate Schulte's best interest for associates as individuals, developing lawyers and people who will ultimately be successful. A sampling of the resources Schulte provides to prepare our associates for substantive responsibility and client contact early in their careers:
- Extensive training, mentoring and other professional development programs, including mid-level and senior associate retreats; a Leadership, Marketing and Strategy Development program provided by NYU School of Law's Institute for Executive Education; and more than 100 in-house training programs annually.
- As an accredited provider of New York State's Continuing Legal Education ("CLE") program, Schulte offers a large number and wide variety of CLE programs featuring nationally recognized experts.
- Associates are encouraged, at firm expense, to attend outside seminars sponsored by bar associations and private CLE providers. The firm pays all costs incurred in connection with attendance at approved CLE programs.
Focus on Firm Culture and Associate Life
Maintaining our dynamic and entrepreneurial culture is a high priority for Schulte. While Schulte's strongest presence remains in New York City, the firm's offices in Washington, D.C. and London operate under the same umbrella of firm culture. A few defining features of Schulte's culture:
- Across offices, practice groups and levels of experience, Schulte values open communication, teamwork and collaboration among its lawyers.
- Schulte encourages associate involvement in business development, mentorship programs and firm committees, including the Associates Committee, Diversity Committee and Summer Program Committee.
- Schulte holds regular community building events, including pre-release viewings of blockbuster movies, practice group social activities, events sponsored by our various affinity groups, class year dinners, jeans days, firm-sponsored sports and CSA participation, as well as a robust speakers series, featuring speakers such as Mo Rocca, Jeff Toobin and Meredith Jones, among others.
- Founding partners, Paul N. Roth and William D. Zabel, both continue their active and highly-regarded practices since the firm's establishment in 1969.
- Read more about Schulte's associate life.
Committed to Diversity
Schulte's Diversity Committee drives the firm's diversity initiatives relating to the recruitment, retention, promotion and general career development of our lawyers. The Committee's members include lawyers from throughout the firm, as well as members of our Recruiting and Professional Development Departments. Schulte's aim is to attract and retain the most talented people by:
- Recruiting and developing our personnel based on ability and without reference to background — gender, race, ethnic origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, part-time status or disability.
- Fostering a corporate culture of inclusion and encouraging employees to join the firm's commitment to equal opportunity and a productive work environment.
- Schulte's Diversity Committee meets regularly to ensure that the firm's initiatives continue to be successful through community building, education and outreach.
- Interested lawyers are encouraged to participate in our Diversity Committee through five Affinity Groups (Asian-American, Black, Latino, LGBT and Women), which provide members with a forum to gather socially, network, mentor, discuss diversity-related work experiences and help plan events for the firm.
- Schulte offers a Parents Group, which provides a space to discuss issues and concerns that may be unique to working parents.
- Read more about Schulte's commitment to equal opportunity.