Orrick is a leading global law firm with a particular focus on serving companies in the technology, energy & infrastructure and financial sectors. We are recognized worldwide for delivering the highest-quality, commercial-orientated legal advice and for our culture of collaboration.
Founded in San Francisco a century and a half ago, Orrick today is named by Law360 as one of the “Global 20” leading firms (2011, 2012 and 2013). Our platform offers clients a distinctive combination of local insight and global reach across 25 offices.
Orrick practices in five core areas: Corporate, Energy & Infrastructure, Finance, Intellectual Property and Litigation. We act for many of the world’s top public companies as well as more than 1,400 start-ups. Our clients include Amazon, Apple, Barclays, Chevron, Credit Suisse, DISH Network, Dow, eBay, Ernst & Young, Facebook, Microsoft, Morgan Stanley, NVIDIA, Oracle, PG&E, Pinterest, Telenor, Total, Vivendi, Warby Parker and Wells Fargo.
We also are recognized for working on the most innovative deals and headline-making cases. Below are a few of our most notable recognitions:
- Orrick was named to The American Lawyer A-List, an annual ranking that measures the performance of the 200 largest law firms in the United States in four categories: financial performance, pro bono contribution, associate satisfaction and diversity.
- The American Lawyer named Orrick to its list of leading litigation departments for the second consecutive time and selected Orrick partner Josh Rosenkranz as Litigator of the Year (2012).
- Financial Times' "Most Innovative US Law Firms" report names Orrick among the leading U.S.-origin law firms in 2011 and 2012.
- Orrick is recognized by Chambers Global for strengths across 43 transactional, litigation and regulatory practice areas in the United States, Asia and Europe.
- The American Lawyer also named Stephen Venuto as Dealmaker of the Year (April 2013).
- #1 Bond Counsel – 2013
- Top 10 CleanTech Firm – Euromoney Legal Media Troup
- Two of the Top 10 IP Cases of the Year – Corporate Counsel
- Group of the Year: Project Finance, Employment & IP – Law360
- For eight consecutive years, Orrick has received a 100 percent rating in the 2012 Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index, a report card on gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender equality in corporate America.
Collaboration—one of the firm’s core values—defines our relationships with our clients, our people and our communities. This is evident in the way our lawyers partner with our clients’ in-house teams, our approach to lawyer development, our efforts to enhance the diversity of our profession, and our commitment to pro bono and community responsibility.
Pro Bono Initiatives:
As a firm, we believe in the power of pro bono to make lasting change. Orrick strategically allocates its pro bono resources to ensure that each lawyer's work has the maximum impact for the client and the community. In recognition of this strategy, Orrick was named to Law360's Pro Bono Firms of 2012 and 2013, placed 12th nationwide in The American Lawyer's 2013 Pro Bono Survey and was selected for The Recorder's elite list of the top 10 Pro Bono Achievers in Northern California.
Orrick's pro bono program has been praised for the dedication of its lawyers to supporting diverse causes with tangible results-including high-profile immigration disputes, civil rights litigation and grassroots global development through an innovative impact finance initiative.
Recent pro bono work that is representative of our efforts includes the following:
- An Orrick team argued a federal habeas case on behalf of our pro bono client who has been incarcerated for 16 years in connection with a fatal arson fire. Our work resulted in the federal judge issuing an extremely rare finding of actual innocence based on his claims for ineffective assistance of counsel and cumulative error. The client is being retried with the hope that he will be vindicated.
- On the transactional side, attorneys in the corporate, banking and debt capital markets group, and energy and infrastructure groups have continued our long-standing representation of impact finance client Calvert Foundation in negotiating and documenting loans and other extensions of credit that it grants to entities in the developing world to further the delivery of basic services to the poor.
- Orrick regularly takes on innovative human rights and public policy work that allows lawyers from all practice groups to collaborate on interesting domestic and international projects. For example:
- Orrick worked with the Women’s Refugee Commission to investigate the causes of the rapid increase in non-citizen children seeking to enter the United States from Central America and to make practical recommendations to resolve the crisis. Orrick team members traveled to speak to children at shelters, met with service providers and government officials, and assisted in drafting a report that received significant praise and attention.
- Orrick lawyers advised the Public International Law and Policy Group—a 2005 Nobel prize nominee—on many complex and important public international law issues facing countries in the Middle East aspiring to become democracies, including Egypt, Libya, Syria and Tunisia.
For nearly 24 years, our firm-wide Diversity and Inclusion Committee, one of the first in a major law firm, has advised the firm’s management on a broad range of issues to ensure that we are successful in hiring, retaining and promoting minority, women and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) lawyers and lawyers with disabilities. Our diversity initiative includes regional diversity committees and gender, minority and LGBT affinity groups, as well as a Parents’ Forum and a Veterans’ Forum to address the interests and needs of these groups.
Diverse lawyers play an integral role in managing the firm – as office leaders, committee chairs, practice group leaders, and the firm’s Board, among others – and shaping its future. In addition, our diversity and inclusion committees are actively involved in the firm’s recruiting efforts, orientation, summer program, training and mentoring programs, and pro bono and community activities. While we pride ourselves on our diversity successes within the firm, our diversity efforts extend far beyond the firm itself to supporting a number of important pipeline initiatives and advancing diversity in the legal profession generally.
A few of the more distinctive elements of our diversity program include the following:
- Affinity Groups, Parents’ and Veterans’ Forums and Mentoring Program
- Women’s Initiative, Committee and Mentoring Circles
- Diversity Liaisons to Each Practice Group’s Associate Review Committee
- Unconscious Bias Training for All Partners and Of Counsel
- Alternative Work Schedule Policy and On-Ramping Program
- Custom Track Options
- Pipeline Initiatives to Support Diverse Youth
- Paid Membership in Diverse Professional Associations
- Associate Development Benchmarks and Career Guidance Counselors
- Supplier Diversity Program
Leading publications and organizations have also recognized our commitment to diversity:
- Best Mentoring Program – Chambers USA Women in Law Award 2013
- Women in Law Empowerment Forum Gold Standard Firm
- Top 15% of AmLaw 100 Firms – 2013 Diversity Scorecard
- 3-Time Winner Sager Award for Diversity – Minority Corporate Counsel Association
- Top 25 Best Law Firms for Diversity, Diversity for Minorities, and Diversity for LGBT – Vault 2013
- Lorraine McGowen, Orrick’s Diversity Chair – New York City Bar Diversity Champion2012
- Best International Firm Mentoring Program - Euromoney Legal Media Group Asia Women in Business Law Awards 2012
- 5-Time Winner Best Law Firms for Women – Working Mother Magazine and Flex-Time Lawyers LLC
- Top 10 Family Friendly Firm – Yale Law Women: 2012 and 2013
- 100% Rating Corporate Equality Index – Human Rights Campaign: 8th Consecutive Year
- Top 100 Law Firms for Diversity – Multicultural Law Magazine: 6th Consecutive Year and Top 100 Law Firms for Women – 5th Consecutive Year
- Ranked 23rd out of 194 firms for overall diversity – Minority Law Journal: 2011
- 2-Time Winner of the “Large Law Firm of the Year for Diversity” Award – Morgan Stanley