• Kramer Levin is one of the most prestigious firms in New York City. We boast nationally-known litigators and transactional attorneys, but New York City is our hometown, and the vast majority of our lawyers work here. That means, if you join us, you’ll be at the center of virtually everything we do as a firm. And your interactions with colleagues will be face-to-face, not via videoconference.
• Our clients are sophisticated market leaders across global industries, and their transactions are routinely featured in the pages of The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times and Crain’s New York Business. That means our work is as good as it gets.
• Kramer Levin prides itself on ‘personality’ fit; we have an open-door, collegial environment, and hire smart, creative people who make our firm more personable than other law firms. And around here, success is how YOU define it.
• Individuality makes us better. Kramer Levin is committed to creating and fostering a diverse and inclusive environment. We have several affinity groups and the firm is committed to programs and initiatives designed to increase the pipeline of diverse law professionals.
• Good news for the risk-averse. Economic conditions have had a muted impact on our firm’s performance due to excellent management and a balanced mix of cyclical and counter-cyclical practices. (We are particularly well-known for litigation and bankruptcy, for example, two classic counter-cyclical practices.) Kramer Levin is also one of the most profitable firms (i.e., we are in the top one-third of Am Law 100 firms in terms of profits per partner).
Working at Kramer Levin
• As a Kramer Levin Summer Associate, you have a say in what type of work you do. There are no department assignments. No rotations. We want to know what interests you and how we can help you play to your strengths.
• If pro bono interests you, then we have a lot in common. Our commitment to pro bono is well-known. What is less well-known is that there are no limits on the number of pro bono hours you can count as “billable” toward bonus requirements. In pro bono as in life, we encourage you to follow your interests.
• Training is second-to-none, due in large part to our robust “shadowing” program, which provides junior attorneys with hands-on learning opportunities by encouraging them to accompany more experienced lawyers to depositions, negotiations, strategy sessions, corporate board meetings, conference calls and the like. As with pro bono, hours spent shadowing count as “billable” toward bonus requirements.
What 2015 Summer Associates Told Us
• You’ll get real work, not make work. We’re not a mega-firm, and we don’t staff like one. You’ll be an important and valued member of our team. As one 2015 summer associate told us, “People are interested in our development here. We get real assignments, others get made-up assignments.”
• We have smaller summer associate classes than many of our peer firms. According to one 2015 summer associate, “small class size means more opportunity, more exposure.”
• We have a great mix of incoming students, clerks and laterals. One of our 2015 summers said Kramer Levin laterals told her their lives are “infinitely better here.” They ought to know.