Jackson Walker is the largest firm contained completely in
Texas. The firm has more than 380 attorneys practicing in a broad
range of practice areas in seven offices across the Lone Star
State: Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, San Angelo, San
Antonio, and Texarkana. JW represents 76 of the Fortune 500
companies and six of the Fortune 10. Internationally, JW attorneys
have represented clients in more than 85 countries and territories,
and the firm is a founding member of Globalaw, a worldwide network
of law firms with offices throughout the U.S. and in more than 165
Big D Beginnings
The firm that would become Jackson Walker began in 1887 when
former school teacher W.J.J. Smith started his practice in Dallas.
In the 1890s two brothers, John and George Robertson, came to
Dallas and entered into a partnership with Smith. In its
early days, the firm then known as Smith, Robertson & Robertson
helped form the The Dallas Times Herald, the Dallas County
Gas Company, as well as railroads, insurance companies, and other
businesses in the city as it began to emerge as a commercial hub.
Both of the current name partners joined the firm in 1948. J. Paul
Jackson was an experienced oil and gas attorney and an expert on
tax law who had argued several times before the Supreme Court. A.W.
"Jess" Walker, Jr. was a law professor at the University of Texas
School of Law for 23 years and was known as the father of Texas oil
and gas law. The firm then became known as Robertson, Jackson,
Payne, Lancaster and Walker, changing to Jackson & Walker LLP
(and later Jackson Walker LLP) in 1988.
Rangers and Mavericks
Shortly after moving the Washington Senators to the Dallas-Fort
Worth area in 1971 and renaming them the Texas Rangers, owner Bob
Short sold the MLB team to an ownership group led by Brad Corbett.
Future Forth Worth partner Albon Head represented the buyers' group
in the purchase and assisted in the formation and representation of
the Texas Rangers in the 1970s as well as representing ownership
group led by future President George W. Bush in the 1990s. In 1980
when Texas businessman Don Carter brought an expansion NBA team to
Dallas, the firm helped to incorporate the new Dallas