Why join Freshfields?
We’ve been advising clients for over 250 years. We are one of the world’s oldest and largest law firms with over 2,500 lawyers.
Our firm is global and so are our lawyers. They routinely work across our 28 offices worldwide, bringing their legal and cultural expertise to every matter. We are truly an international law firm with a globally integrated approach to advising multinational clients across a broad range of industries.
The firm is well-run and profitable. Last year we posted one of the highest revenues of any law firm worldwide. We were also named the official law firm for the 2012 London Olympics.
Our summer associates come and stay for the long-term. Incoming class size has averaged 12-15 people annually for the past three years. The firm has substantive work assignments in every practice area ready for summer associates before they arrive, ensuring their experience will be meaningful. One recent summer associate was an integral member of the team that successfully sought a writ of cert to the US Supreme Court to defend a $200 million arbitral award rendered against a South American country.
Overseas opportunities abound from the beginning. Summer associates are encouraged to spend two weeks in one of our offices abroad. Recent rotations have included Dubai, Hong Kong, London, and Paris. Our attorneys love the international nature of their work, not just because it is multi-faceted and interesting, but also because of the opportunities the firm’s mandates present to act as a cultural bridge between people from across our broad network.
Click here to read more about opportunities at Freshfields.
Top of the market. Unlike many competitors, we have never deferred new hires and reward recruits with top-of-market compensation and benefits packages. First-year associates earned $160,000 plus market bonuses. All summer associates have received permanent offers to join the firm the past several years as well. Associates are also allocated 26 days of vacation a year in addition to the US holidays.
The best of both worlds. We combine the entrepreneurial and collegial environment of a boutique with the top clients, mandates, resources, benefits and training of one the largest firms in the world. Associates say the firm is collegial not stodgy, and cutting-edge not cut-throat. The non-hierarchical environment promotes tremendous interaction among partners and associates. People are rewarded for what they can do, not how long they’ve been doing it.
Our clients, our work. We represent the world’s biggest businesses, routinely working on complex multi-jurisdictional matters for large corporations and governments. Our lawyers:
- advised ConocoPhillips in its multi-billion dollar case against Venezuela following confiscation of its investments, one of the largest investment treaty cases ever filed;
- advised EQT Infrastructure II on its $420m public tender offer for, and acquisition of, Westway Group, Inc.;
- advised Advent International in connection with its $1.2bn acquisition of the coatings resins business of Cytec Industries Inc;
- routinely represent clients in investigations regarding the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and economic sanctions;
- regularly represent significant global financial institutions including Barclays, Citigroup, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, JPMorgan Chase and UBS in complex transactions
Top schools, top recruits. We seek well-rounded students from a wide range of schools. Our lawyers currently conduct on-campus interviews at:
- Cornell Law School
- Columbia University Law School
- Georgetown University Law Center
- Harvard Law School
- Lavender Law Fair
- University of Michigan Law School
- NBLSA Job Fair
- Northwestern University School of Law
- New York University School of Law
- Stanford Law School
- University of Chicago Law School
- University of Pennsylvania Law School
- University of Virginia Law School
- Vanderbilt University Law School
- Yale Law School
Read more about who we're looking for here.
Recent Awards and Accolades:
Chambers Latin America Awards Award for excellence in international arbitration - Latin America-wide
Ranked 1st in Law360’s Global 20 for 2013, the legal publication’s annual report of the law firms with the greatest global reach and expertise.
Won the Global M&A Deal of the Year – Europe at the American Lawyer’s inaugural Global Legal Awards in September 2013, for its role as counsel to Xstrata on its sale to Glencore.
Won the following Global M&A Atlas Awards for 2013:
EMERGING MARKETS MA DEAL of the YEAR
· Integrated Healthcare Holdings and Khazanah Nasional Bhd majority acquisition in Acibadem Saglik Yatirimlari from Abraaj Capital and Aydinlar family.
FINANCIAL SERVICS DEAL of the YEAR
· Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing acquisition of the London Metal Exchange
EUROPE PRIVATE EQUITY DEAL of the YEAR
· CVC Capital Partners acquisition of Ahlsell from Cinven and GS Capital Partners. Advisors: Deutsche Bank, Roschier, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Nordea, Goldman Sachs.
Follow this link to read more about Freshfields in recent news. . .