Five Reasons to Choose Davis Polk
1. Excellence. No matter what their practice or in which of our 10 offices worldwide they may work, our lawyers are at the very top of the profession.
- Law360 recently named Davis Polk to its Global 20 ranking. In addition, the firm’s Banking, Capital Markets, Competition, Energy and M&A groups were all named among Law360’s “Practice Groups of the Year.”
- Five Davis Polk practices have been named among Law360’s “2015 Practice Groups of the Year”:
- Banking Group of the Year
- Capital Markets Group of the Year
- Competition Group of the Year
- Energy Group of the Year
- M&A Group of the Year
- International Financial Law Review named Davis Polk “Most Innovative U.S. Firm” at the 2016 IFLR Asia Awards, and also recognized the firm as “China Practice of the Year” and “Equity Team of the Year.” At the 2016 IFLR Americas Awards, we were named “High-Yield Team of the Year” and also advised on the “Equity Deal of the Year,” “High-Yield Deal of the Year” and “Debit- and Equity-Linked Deal of the Year.”
- Over the past year, Davis Polk has received numerous firm, team, deal and individual honors in the United States, Asia, Europe and Latin America.
2. Substantive Deal and Case Experience. We advise our cross-practice corporate clients on their most significant M&A, credit and capital markets financing matters. We are also relied upon by many of the world’s largest and most well-known financial institutions to advise them on a wide variety of the most complex and groundbreaking transactions taking place within today’s financial markets.
- Davis Polk is the only law firm to have advised on five of the six largest IPOs in history as well as the largest U.S. IPO in 2015.
- Davis Polk is regularly involved in the largest and most complex M&A deals of the day. Clients – both long-standing and new, large and small – engage us when the scope and complexity of a transaction calls for the strategic experience and cross-disciplinary capabilities of our lawyers.
- Our Litigation Department is perennially a go-to practice for the most complex “litigation-of-the-moment” cases – for example, we currently are representing clients in dozens of FCPA-related matters.
- We have played key roles in the most high-profile antitrust cases brought in recent years, including criminal, regulatory and civil actions related to allegations of a conspiracy by multinational financial institutions to manipulate interest rate benchmarks, LIBOR and ISDAfix, and rates used to determine foreign exchange prices.
- We achieved back-to-back wins for Comcast in patent litigation against Sprint; a $27.6 million jury verdict in favor of Sprint was overturned and a $7.5 million jury verdict in favor of Comcast was upheld.
- We are conducting internal investigations for a major financial institution that has transacted with parties involved in the ongoing FIFA prosecution.
- We have represented a major financial services firm in every suit brought by investors relating to the financial crisis fallout.
- Davis Polk is widely recognized as one of the world’s premier law firms for domestic, international and cross-border insolvency/restructuring, advising financial institutions, distressed investors and other sophisticated creditors and creditor groups, as well as trustees, administrators and receivers, in connection with the largest and most complex recapitalizations, reorganizations, restructurings and distressed financings. Recently, our insolvency and restructuring practice has held leading roles in many energy-related restructurings, as well as cross-border representations in Brazil and other parts of Latin America.
- We have been one of the leading U.S.-based global law firms working, both domestically and internationally, with regulators to solve the “too big to fail” problem and with their financial institutions clients on “living wills” required under the Dodd-Frank Act. Our lawyers have testified before Congress twice over the last year on the bankruptcies of financial firms.
- Our global leveraged finance practice is positioned to advise lenders and borrowers on financings involving some of the world’s most recognizable companies, including domestic and international leveraged buy-outs and acquisition financings, investment-grade financings, debtor-in-possession and exit financings, as well as project finance and structured finance transactions. Davis Polk advised on nearly 100 deals totaling over $217 billion in 2015, ranking the firm in the Top 5 in half of the 2015 Thomson Reuters LPC categories.
3. Truly Global Reach. Davis Polk is a recognized leader worldwide. We have a long-standing and growing presence in key financial centers across the United States, Asia, Europe and Latin America.
- Opportunities for associates to practice overseas abound – either through short-term travel for a specific deal or case, or longer-term assignments at one of our non-U.S. offices.
- More than half of the assignments that we handle have a global component, which means that associates, no matter where they are based, are working on matters worldwide.
4. Invaluable Preparation and Boundless Career Opportunities. There is no better place to launch and build a career in the law. And whether within the firm or beyond, working at Davis Polk offers a junior lawyer a broad array of career paths.
- Our junior lawyers receive real responsibility and extensive client contact very early in their careers.
- They acquire comprehensive instruction, both through a formal worldwide training program that offers more than 350 sessions annually, and through on-the-job experience, working on the most intricate client matters. They also benefit from mentoring relationships that they develop with partners and senior associates.
- The vast majority of our partners began their careers at Davis Polk.
- Our counsel program began 33 years ago to provide experienced lawyers with an alternative long-term career option at the firm. We currently have 89 counsel in our offices worldwide.
- More than 30 of our lawyers currently work on a part- or flex-time basis.
- Davis Polk is a world-class springboard. Our alumni serve in the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives, and as CEOs, senior executives, bankers, investors, entrepreneurs, judges, federal and local prosecutors, regulators across a variety of government agencies, law professors, nonprofit workers, in-house counsel at major global corporations, and in leadership roles across many other fields.
5. Exceptional Colleagues. Davis Polk lawyers are not only among the most accomplished and talented in the world, they are also people of substance and integrity from an impressively diverse range of backgrounds. They have intense professional focus, keen intellectual curiosity, widely varying interests outside of the law and a solid commitment to supporting one another in pursuing the business objectives of our clients.
- Our lawyers come from 46 countries and collectively speak more than 45 languages.
- Davis Polk consistently ranks in the top 20 firms among all AmLaw 100 and 200 firms in the American Lawyer’s “Diversity Scorecard.”
- More than 130 of our lawyers have advanced degrees outside of the law.
Return to Davis Polk & Wardwell Profile
Learn more about Davis Polk >