Five Reasons to Choose Davis Polk
1. Excellence. No matter what their practice or in which of our 10 offices worldwide they may work, our lawyers are at the very top of the profession.
- Davis Polk is the first firm to top the year-end capital markets rankings (based on most #1 rankings in the global and U.S. categories) and M&A rankings (based on global announced category) while also placing first in multiple credit ranking categories.
- For the third consecutive year, Davis Polk was named “Debt and Equity-Linked Team of the Year” by International Financial Law Review. We received four awards in total at the 2014 IFLR Americas Awards, including “Private Equity Team of the Year,” “Private Equity Deal of the Year” (acquisition of Heinz by Berkshire Hathaway and 3G Capital) and “Debt and Equity-Linked Deal of the Year” (Hilton high-yield bond).
- Over the past year, Davis Polk has received numerous firm, team, deal and individual honors in the United States, Asia, Europe and Latin America.
2. Substantive Deal and Case Experience. We advise our cross-practice corporate clients, which include Aetna, AstraZeneca, Comcast, ExxonMobil, Pepsi, and Tyson Foods, on their most significant M&A, credit and capital markets financing matters. We are also relied upon by many of the world’s largest and most well-known financial institutions to advise them on a wide variety of the most complex and groundbreaking transactions taking place within today’s financial markets.
- Davis Polk is the only law firm to have advised on five of the six largest IPOs in history as well as four of the five largest U.S. IPOs year-to-date.
- Recent clients in major M&A transactions include Aetna, AstraZeneca, Baidu, Baker Hughes, Bertelsmann, Cigna, Citigroup, Comcast, ConAgra Foods, CNOOC, Emerson, ExxonMobil, Freeport McMoRan, JPMorgan Chase, MasterCard, Morgan Stanley, Pepsi, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Roche, Sallie Mae, Shire and Tyson Foods.
- Our Litigation Department is perennially a go-to practice for the most complex “litigation-of-the-moment” cases – for example, we currently are representing clients in dozens of FCPA-related matters.
- We have played key roles in the most high-profile antitrust cases brought in recent years, including criminal, regulatory and civil actions related to allegations of a conspiracy by multinational financial institutions to manipulate interest rate benchmarks, LIBOR and ISDAfix, and rates used to determine foreign exchange prices.
- We secured a jury verdict of infringement for Comcast against Sprint in patent litigation related to telephony products and services.
- We represent a number of financial institutions in connection with criminal and parallel civil investigations by the DOJ and the IRS into alleged aiding and abetting of tax evasion by U.S. persons hiding assets overseas.
- We have represented Morgan Stanley in every suit brought by investors relating to the financial crisis fallout, including numerous lawsuits brought in courts around the country by fund managers, insurance companies and other investors based on purchases of structured investments, including residential mortgage-backed securities (“RMBS”), collateralized debt obligations (“CDOs”) and structured investment vehicles (“SIVs”).
- As one of the only firms in the world with both a leading debtor-side practice and a leading lender-side practice, we represent a wide range of clients in connection with the largest and most complex insolvencies and restructurings, as well as acquisitions of distressed companies, debtor-in-possession financings and exit financings.
- We have been one of the leading U.S.-based global law firms working, both domestically and internationally, with regulators to solve the “too big to fail” problem and with their financial institutions clients on “living wills” required under the Dodd-Frank Act. Our lawyers have testified before Congress twice over the last year on the bankruptcies of financial firms.
- We are also among the world’s leading law firms in advising financial institutions and borrowers on LBOs and other leveraged and investment-grade acquisition financings, debt restructurings, bridge loans, recapitalizations and many other types of transactions involving the use of credit.
3. Truly Global Reach. Davis Polk is a recognized leader worldwide. We have a long-standing and growing presence in key financial centers across the United States, Asia, Europe and Latin America.
- Opportunities for associates to practice overseas abound – either through short-term travel for a specific deal or case, or longer-term assignments at one of our non-U.S. offices.
- More than half of the assignments that we handle have a global component, which means that associates, no matter where they are based, are working on matters worldwide.
4. Invaluable Preparation and Boundless Career Opportunities. There is no better place to launch and build a career in the law. And whether within the firm or beyond, working at Davis Polk offers a junior lawyer a broad array of career paths.
- Our junior lawyers receive real responsibility and extensive client contact very early in their careers.
- They acquire comprehensive instruction, both through a formal worldwide training program that offers over 300 sessions annually, and through on-the-job experience, working on the most intricate client matters. They also benefit from mentoring relationships that they develop with partners and senior associates.
- The vast majority of our partners began their careers at Davis Polk.
- Our counsel program began 31 years ago to provide experienced lawyers with an alternative long-term career option at the firm. We currently have 76 counsel in our offices worldwide.
- Over 25 of our lawyers currently work on a part- or flex-time basis.
- Davis Polk is a world-class springboard. Our alumni serve in the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives, and as CEOs, senior executives, bankers, investors, entrepreneurs, judges, federal and local prosecutors, regulators across a variety of government agencies, law professors, nonprofit workers, in-house counsel at major global corporations, and in leadership roles across many other fields.
5. Exceptional Colleagues. Davis Polk lawyers are not only among the most accomplished and talented in the world, they are also people of substance and integrity from an impressively diverse range of backgrounds. They have intense professional focus, keen intellectual curiosity, widely varying interests outside of the law and a solid commitment to supporting one another in pursuing the business objectives of our clients.
- Our lawyers come from 53 countries and collectively speak more than 45 languages.
- Davis Polk consistently ranks in the top 20 firms among all AmLaw 100 and 200 firms in the American Lawyer’s “Diversity Scorecard.”
- More than 120 of our lawyers have advanced degrees outside of the law.
Return to Davis Polk & Wardwell Profile