Total number of attorneys worldwide as of February 1, 2011:
• Number of partners: 196
• Number of of counsel: 48
• Number of associates: 787
• Number of lawyers working part-time: 17
Please provide the number of attorneys in each office:
US and the Americas: 621
Minimum billable hour requirement: N/A.
- Cleary Gottlieb has advised clients on an array of groundbreaking and complex matters stemming from the financial crisis, including representing numerous financial institutions, including Bank of America, Citigroup and The Hartford, in connection with their multi-billion dollar repayments of TARP and other federal assistance received following the financial crisis. The firm has also been advising BNY Mellon, BNP Paribas, Citibank and HSBC in connection with matters arising from the Madoff Ponzi scheme, and more than 50 financial institutions in class and individual actions arising from the collapse of Lehman Brothers.
- The firm has won several awards for its regulatory advice, including recently being named “Securities Regulation Law Firm of the Year” by Chambers USA. We’ve also been advising clients on legislative developments and the unfolding regulatory implementation for financial markets in the U.S. and Europe, including under the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act—widely viewed as the most sweeping legislation regulating the U.S. financial services industry since the Great Depression
M&A and Acquisition Finance
- The firm was counsel in six award-winning M&A deals in 2010 alone, and was ranked as the “#1 Go-To Firm for Corporate Transactions” in Corporate Counsel’s “Who Represents America’s Biggest Companies” Survey in 2010.
- Cleary Gottlieb’s M&A and Acquisition Finance teams have been at the center of some of the most widely watched transactions throughout 2010, including advising BHP Billiton in its $40 billion all-cash offer to acquire PotashCorp— the largest deal announced worldwide during the first three quarters of 2010 before it was blocked by the Canadian government; Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group in its proposed acquisition by Hertz and the competing proposals from Avis; Google on several acquisitions, including its acquisitions of ITA Software and AdMob; and HP on its acquisitions of 3Com and 3PAR.
Bankruptcy & Restructuring
- Cleary Gottlieb’s bankruptcy and restructuring practice is handling precedent-setting matters around the globe, including advising Nortel Networks Inc. and affiliates in their U.S. Chapter 11 proceedings, which are coordinated with proceedings in Canada, the United Kingdom, France and Israel. The firm is also counsel to Nortel in nine related material asset sales, generating over $3 billion in proceeds. Cleary Gottlieb is also advising Barclays in the Chapter 11 proceedings of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. and related affiliates, and the Securities Investor Protection Act (SIPA) proceeding of Lehman Brothers Inc, and advised the UAW in the Chapter 11 proceedings of Chrysler and General Motors, including the landmark Section 363 sales consummated in these cases. The firm has also been counsel in almost every major restructuring that has occurred in Latin America since the onset of the financial crisis.
- Our bankruptcy & restructuring team includes award-winning lawyers, including individuals recognized as an American Lawyer “Dealmaker of the Year” and a Turnarounds & Workouts “Outstanding Young Restructuring Lawyer.” The firm has also been counsel in several matters recognized by publications such as the Financial Times, International Financial Law Review, Latin Lawyer and Latin Finance, as “Deals of the Year.”
White Collar Defense, Securities Enforcement and Internal Investigations
- The firm’s litigation practice counts among its ranks nine partners who are former Justice Department prosecutors, a former Senior Counsel and Director of the Division of Corporation Finance of the SEC, plus two former General Counsels of the SEC. We have continued the growth of our litigation practice, with the additions of the former Acting U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York Lev Dassin and securities litigation specialist Meredith Kotler.
- Throughout 2010, Cleary Gottlieb has been advised on securities enforcement and white collar matters that have dominated the headlines every day, including representing Bank of America on settlement of an SEC investigation into its merger with Merrill Lynch and Merrill Lynch’s payment of employee bonuses, as well as in connection with an ongoing litigation by the New York State Attorney General and numerous related civil suits. Cleary Gottlieb is also advising Steven Rattner in Martin Act litigation against the New York State Attorney General relating to Mr. Rattner’s alleged role in the New York pension fund pay-to-play scandal, and a hedge fund in the Galleon insider-trading investigation.
Litigation & Arbitration
- Benchmark Litigation: The Definitive Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys has described our litigation practice as “among the top litigation groups in the world,” and it’s no wonder – the firm’s litigation team achieved six major victories in securities litigation matters alone in 2010 for clients such as Countrywide, Barclays, Dow Chemical, Aristrocrat Leisure and ING, including landmark matters related to mortgage-backed securities.
- Ranked as a top six firm worldwide appearing in arbitration matters in The American Lawyer’s “Arbitration Scorecard,” the firm routinely handles an extraordinarily wide range of international arbitrations for multinational and domestic financial institutions and corporations, sovereign governments and state-owned institutions. Some of our international litigation and arbitration clients include: Argentina, Iraq, Citigroup, Dow Chemical, Deutsche Bank, Russian Federation, sanofi-aventis, Toyota, and Daimler Chrysler.
- The firm’s antitrust practice is regularly recognized by publications around the globe for its prowess in both U.S. antitrust and European competition law. In merger control, the firm has fought for clearance from the FTC for several technology acquisitions, including Google’s acquisition of AdMob. On the antitrust litigation front, we recently won the dismissal on behalf of ConocoPhillips of a ten-count antitrust class action complaint alleging a conspiracy between energy companies and a drug and alcohol testing firm to drive competitors for the provision of drug and alcohol testing services out of the market.
- The firm’s capital markets team has advised on some of the largest and most complex offerings around the globe, including advising Petrobras on its landmark $67 billion offering—the largest-ever equity offering. Cleary Gottlieb has also been counsel on thirteen matters that have been recognized as “Deals of the Year” in 2010 alone, from publications in the United States, India, Europe and Asia.
- The firm has been counsel in more than 150 IPOs, valued at over $110 billion, in the past five years, and regularly represents Fortune 500 companies on offerings around the world, including McDonald’s, Volkswagen, Deutsche Bank, Vale, Telmex, GlaxoSmithKline and Coca-Cola.
Who are some of Cleary's clients?
We represent multinational corporations, financial institutions and sovereign governments on innovative matters that set precedents and define standards in the United States and all over the world. Representative clients include:
Alpha Natural Resources
Bank of America
Dow Chemical Company
The Hartford Financial Services Group