Dow Jones & Company covers the news from Wall Street to Main Street. The company is a leading provider of news and information worldwide. Dow Jones boasts an ample portfolio of big-name newspapers and magazines anchored by The Wall Street Journal, which has become the nation's #1 daily newspaper. The Journal enjoys a circulation of more than 2.3 million. Dow Jones also caters to readers in Asia and Europe by publishing international editions of the Journal. Beyond newspapers, Dow Jones owns business magazine Barron's, financial news site MarketWatch, SmartMoney magazine, WSJ Magazine, and research service Factiva. The company is a subsidiary of News Corporation.
Global publisher Dow Jones provides news and business information through multiple media channels.
Sales and Marketing
The multichannel marketer distributes its content and data through newspapers, newswires, magazines, tablets, mobile apps, newsletters, websites, databases, conferences, and radio and video. Dow Jones targets a variety of consumers, such as individuals and enterprise customers. Its expertise lies in providing the insights that customers demand to make informed financial decisions. The Wall Street Journal, its flagship daily newspaper, has grown from its Wall Street roots to become the sought-after publication for travelers, businesspeople, and consumers looking for not only analysis of financial markets but lifestyle, culture, and sports.
Dow Jones operates as a subsidiary of News Corporation and is part of its parent company's News and Information Services business segment, which in fiscal 2013 generated about 72% of revenue. The segment makes money from business-to-consumer and business-to-business subscriptions, print and digital ad sales, and licensing fees for its print and digital products.
Besides Dow Jones, other companies in the revenue-generating segment include News Corp Australia, News UK, the New York Post, and News America Marketing.
Products targeting consumers include print, digital, and video versions of The Wall Street Journal, print and digital versions of Barron's, and The Wall Street Journal Digital Network, which comprises WSJ.com, Barrons.com, MarketWatch.com, and AllThingsD.com.
Recently rolled out, DJX is the comprehensive Dow Jones product that targets enterprise customers. Launched in early 2013, DJX aims to provide customers with a unified product experience, rather than a bundling of underlying products. DJX consists of business content provider Factiva, real-time publisher Dow Jones Newswires, private market products the likes of VentureSource, WSJ.com, Barrons.com, and certain Risk & Compliance products.
The Wall Street Journal is printed at plants nationwide. Dow Jones owns nine of them.
Like most other news publishers, Dow Jones relies heavily on advertising, subscriptions, and circulation fees for most of its revenue. The company's flagship newspaper continues to buck industry trends with strong circulation figures, while its online companion (run through the Wall Street Journal Digital Network) is one of the few news websites to succeed at generating revenue through subscriptions.
The company's prospering units have not shielded it from the challenges facing the newspaper industry, however. In 2013 it sold its Dow Jones Local Media Group local newspaper subsidiary to Fortress Investment Group, as those papers struggled with declining readership along with the rest of the industry. Other operations such as MarketWatch and Barron's have been hurt in recent years by declines in ad revenue. In response, Dow Jones is focused on improving efficiencies within its news-gathering operations, combining its consumer publications and news services division. It later purchased the 50% of SmartMoney magazine it didn't already own from Hearst.
Looking to cut expenses and focus on its publishing operations, Dow Jones in 2010 sold 90% of its financial index business to CME Group, the owner of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, and the remaining 10% stake to CME in 2013.