Work at AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL GROUP, INC.? Submit a Review

Very Iffy place to work

March 2016 | CURRENT EMPLOYEE

Decent compensation, Good hours, Good benefits 12% to 401k, Good managers on my team

Company is cutting expenses which mean layoffs are highly talked about, Expense cutting has resulted in the company not covering expenses for certain things, No structured method of being promoted.

Comments

I would say be very careful about this company. Depending on the team, it might be part of the layoff plan it might not

Big Changes

February 2016 | CURRENT EMPLOYEE

Can take on as much responsibility as you push for

Not a lot of focus on junior talent development or career growth

Comments

AIG is a fine place to serve as a training ground but over the long-term is probably less of an ideal choice

The crisis years

December 2015 | FORMER EMPLOYEE

A diverse set of opportunities for involvement
Company Reputation worldwide
Some great people to work with
HR can be effective at times

Cronyism - Cronyism - Cronyism
Some executives were practically useless
During the crisis years they gave retention bonuses to their friends.

Comments

The Enterprise Risk Management Division was a practically useless entity. At the time we had a CRO who was the laughing stock of Wall Street. Being what he was he had chosen people of similar traits.
There was also a lady senior director who is now probably demoted but had caused a lot of damage to people. I recall a story where she had gone out of her way to destroy a few people's performance evaluations. The current CRO is just a politician. Having said all that AIG has some great individuals. I was extremely lucky during my days there because I had the opportunity to mingle and work with them.

Get Our Career Newsletter

Interview, resume and job search tips emailed directly to you.