About Barra, LLC

MSCI, formerly Morgan Stanley Capital International, manages more than 145,000 daily equity, fixed income, and hedge fund indices for use by large asset management firms. MSCI is organized through two business segments. Its Performance and Risk business provides equity indices, portfolio risk and performance analytics, credit analytics, and environmental, social and governance (ESG) products under brands such as MSCI, RiskMetrics, and Barra. Its Governance business provides corporate governance and specialized financial research and analysis. MSCI has about 7,500 clients across more than 80 countries.


The company's indices act as benchmarks that measure the performance of global funds. Institutional investors use the indices as research tools and as the basis for their various investment vehicles. MSCI's Performance and Risk segment is by far its largest, accounting for 87% of the company's revenue in 2012, while the company's Governance segment brought in the remaining 13%. MSCI makes the majority of its revenues (more than 75%) from annual recurring subscriptions to its products.

Geographic Reach

Nearly half of the company's revenues come from outside the Americas. MSCI has more than 38 offices in 22 countries worldwide, including headquarters in New York and offices in San Francisco, Chicago, and São Paulo, Brazil. As part of its global expansion efforts, in the last few years MSCI has opened international offices in Budapest, Dubai, Monterrey, Mumbai, and Shanghai.


The company has consistently achieved revenue growth and positive earnings by continually expanding its relationships with investment institutions and regularly developing and enhancing its products. It has also made key acquisitions in order to complement or expand its client base and offerings.

- Show Less + Show Full Description

Barra, LLC

2100 Milvia St
Berkeley, CA 94704-1113
Phone: 1 (510) 548-5442
Fax: 1 (510) 548-4374


  • Employer Type: Public
  • General Manager: Susan Gledhill
  • Senior Associate: Penny Plunkert
  • Account Management Coordinator: Linda Tasker
  • Employees: 554

Major Office Locations

  • Berkeley, CA

Other Locations

  • New York, NY