Peter J. Solomon Company at a Glance


  • “Great culture that values work/life balance”
  • “Working with intelligent and respectful coworkers, including top senior people”
  • “Compensation—better pay than the Street average”


  • “Vacation policy”
  • “No 401(k) match”
  • “Sometimes long hours”
  • “Retail-focused”
  • “Recently lost that one big partner”

The Buzz

  • “Retail-focused”
  • “Recently lost that one big partner”

About Peter J. Solomon Company

Peter J. Solomon opened his eponymous Manhattan-based firm in 1989. Before striking out on his own, the Harvard-educated Solomon had spent many years at Lehman Brothers. With his new firm, Solomon built one of the most well respected investment banking boutiques on the Street. And in June 2016, the firm successfully joined forces with Natixis, the international corporate, investment, insurance and financial services arm of Groupe BPCE based in France which had taken a 51percent stake in PJSC. The remaining 49 percent stayed in Peter J. Solomon Company (PJSC) partners' hands.

Today, the firm's upper management includes the founding chairman, Peter J. Solomon; Marc S. Cooper, CEO; Kenneth D. Baronoff, managing director and COO; 19 managing directors; and seven senior advisers.

PJSC offers strategic and financial advice to owners, chief executives, senior management, and boards of directors of public and private companies. Recently, PJSC added three new verticals: Energy Advisory Group; Food Retail & Restaurants; and Infrastructure. Previously, the firm had added Real Estate and e-commerce & Retail Technology and had renamed its media practice Technology, Media & Telecommunications. PJSC continues to provide retail expertise through its Global Retail practice, maintains a presence in the health care sector, and, capitalizing on the Natixis Relationship, has already secured additional financing assignments. Since its founding, PJSC has completed more than 500 advisory assignments.

Business at PJSC is divided into six primary divisions: mergers and acquisitions, restructurings and recapitalizations, financing advisory, the special committee practice (which provides counsel to corporate boards and renders fairness opinions), activist defense. Its family business advisory practice continues, and don't mistake this for something out of Norman Rockwell; PJSC advises families like the Fortunoffs, the Comers (who owned retail giant Lands' End), the Rabbs (former owners of the Stop & Shop grocery chain), and the Wylys (who owned the Michaels craft supply stores, and entered into a $5.6 billion leveraged buyout agreement with Bain Capital and the Blackstone Group).

PJSC is a well-known powerhouse in retail deals-it advised on Office Depot's merger with Office Max, SONY's acquisition of EMI Music Publishing, and Phillips-Van Heusen's acquisitions of Warnaco Group Tommy Hilfiger and Calvin Klein among others. From the beginning of 2009 through May 2010, the firm advised on a higher volume of M&A deals than any other investment bank, according to Bloomberg. During the period, PJSC advised on $5.6 billion worth of total merger and acquisition deals, which was more than Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and Credit Suisse, among others. PJSC continues to advise Phillips-Van Heusen, and more recently, its clients have also included Skullcandy, Chico's FAS, Sunsetter, TJX, Radio Shack, DSW, Key Foods, the London Stock Exchange, American Apparel, Under Armour, SoulCycle, SiriusXM, and American Greetings. In addition, PJSC's media group, including its practice in the digital out-of-home space, has been busy recently, representing Hal Leonard, Starplex Cinemas, Searchlight Capital Partners, Christie's International, CBS Outdoor, and JCDecaux.

The firm also has a strong restructuring practice, which recently advised Australian company NewSat Limited; The Dolan Company, a creditor group of Energy Future Holdings (formerly known as TXU); and Overseas Shipholding Group.

- Show Less + Show Full Description

Peter J. Solomon Company

1345 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10105
Phone: (212) 508-1600
Fax: (212) 508-1633


  • Employer Type: Private
  • Founder & Chairman: Peter J. Solomon
  • Chief Executive Officer: Marc S. Cooper
  • 2015 Employees: 80

Major Office Locations

  • New York, NY