Keefe Bruyette & Woods, Inc.

3.5 of 5 stars Average Employee Rating (of 8 Employee Reviews)

Work at Keefe Bruyette & Woods, Inc.? Log in to Submit a Review

2012 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Comments

Specialized and capable firm with an excellent culture.

2012 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Very entrepreneurial, senior management cares about cultivating young talent and is accessible.

Comments

Potential candidates should assess if they have a passion for finance, can multi-task effectively, and enjoy working with both peers and senior managers in an engaging, entrepreneurial work environment.

2012 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Strong deal flow, significant responsibility from start, direct exposure to clients and senior bankers as an analyst

Large discrepancy between mid-level employees' and analysts' hours. Limited exit opportunities.

Comments

KBW has a unique culture for a public broker-dealer. The firm maintains a small private boutique culture and focuses on developing talent internally and maintaining relatively low turnover. Many of KBW's top investment bankers started their careers with the firm.

The deal flow at KBW is strong and diversified, providing opportunities to work on a variety of M&A and Equity Capital Markets transactions. Sub-groups within investment banking are sectioned by sector focus and include banks/thrifts, insurance and asset management, and diversified financial services (all other). Staffing and deal team structure varies by group but usually includes an MD, VP or associate, and 1 or 2 analysts depending on the amount of work required. This structure provides significant access to senior bankers and clients and requires the analyst to bear a significant level of responsibility.

Pay is commensurate with or slightly higher than other middle-market investment banks and includes a starting base salary of $70-75k plus bonus. Base is increased 15-20% per year in average years. Bonuses are paid in February of each year and are based on overall firm performance. Merit-based bonuses begin at the associate-level, and all analysts receive the same bonus unless performance was particularly bad.

Hours are standard for first year analysts and typically average 90 hours per week. Analysts should expect to work in the range of 70 to 110 hours with considerable variablility week to week. Hours improve significantly at the associate and vice president level.

2012 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Culture and exposure to live deals

Hours

Comments

Be prepared to work very hard and to be very challenged. However, KBW is a very rewarding place to work and the experience, albeit tough, is very much worth it.

2012 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Comments

if you are genuinely interested in financial stocks, this is a good place to work--overall the culture is pretty good...work/life balance is decent in comparison to other firms on the street

2012 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Comments

Comp

2012 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

The culture and the employees make for such a great environment at KBW. KBW has also always taken care of its employees well which is represented in its low employee turnover . The change in personnel since september has also allowed for plenty of opportunities to gain responsibility.

In my limited time at the firm so far, I have had a very positive experience. I think that increased transparency in all aspects would be beneficial from an employee perspective

Comments

Within the near future, there are plenty of opportunities to assume greater responsibilities. Given the shift in personnel, coverage and duties over the past 6 months, there is a need for bright employees hungry to keep KBW moving in the right direction

2012 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Comments

culture