2.0 of 5 stars (1 Rating)

Work at GENERAL MOTORS COMPANY? Submit a Review

Displaying 1-1 of 1 Employee Review

I wouldn't recommend employment here

February 2015 | CURRENT EMPLOYEE

Some flexibility to work from home. Multiple working locations around the world.

When you are hired in as salary you become a slave. They expect you to be on call everyday, at any time of day. You don't even get a break when you are supposed to be on vacation. They will have you on conference calls from, literally, half way around the world.
The organizational structure is inconsistent. Some areas have specific levels while others have people at all levels doing the same work. And even though you have an official boss, that likely isn't the only person that will be giving you directions. Work priorities are handed out from people that aren't even in your same division, let alone your department.
The notion of too many chiefs and not enough indians has a different twist within GM. There are not enough workers to get everything done, thus being on call 24/7. So the managers have to do the work that they don't have enough people to cover. Then they can't do their jobs of actually managing their teams. Or even taking enough time for interviews when they get approval to hire more people.

Comments

If you are serious about coming into GM, reconsider. This isn't the company it used to be. I was told by my boss that I was going to be brought in (from a contract position of over 10 years), despite not being the best person for the job and HR rejecting me since I don't fit. You will be forced to do work that you shouldn't be doing.
For the amount of hours you will be working you would make more money as a contract employee. The benefits are just the same, or worse than contract houses. There is no more pension, just a 401(k) like most other full time jobs. You get no sick time, officially.
And with all the talk about how GM is doing better with the new management, it isn't. The mindset hasn't changed. In one forced training class another employee (of over 20 years) told me it was the third time he had to take the class, they had just changed the name. The material was all the same. And a lot of it was actually incorrect, showing the wrong way decisions are still being made.