Agricultural cooperative MFA brings together 45,000 farmers in Missouri and adjacent states. One of the US' oldest regional co-ops, supplying its member/owners with agronomy, distribution, financing, and purchasing services, it runs more than 145 retail farm supply centers and works with independent dealers. MFA supplies animal feeds, seed, fertilizer, and crop protection products. The co-op also provides its members with agronomy services, animal-health products, and farm supplies. It also offers marketing services, and is the publisher of Today's Farmer. Agmo Corporation, MFA's finance company, provides co-op members longer credit terms for purchases made through MFA's retail outlets.
The coop has fertilizer terminals on the Mississippi River, as well as on the Missouri and Arkansas rivers.
MFA's plant food sales exceed 1 million tons each year.
Sales and Marketing
The coop sells through 400 independent dealers.
Part of MFA's strategy is to focus on growth initiatives and find opportunistic products and services to provide to its customers. Strategic river terminals and other bulk facilities give it capacity to deliver bulk quantities of plant food. It also invests in rolling stock, trucks, and application equipment to ensure bulk products are efficiently delivered to retail customers.
In 2016 the coop formed a joint venture with MFA Oil Company, a farmer-owned energy supply cooperative, to build a shuttle-loader facility on the Union Pacific Railroad line about 5 miles east of Hamilton, Missouri. The grain-handling facility will consist of 2 million bushels of permanent storage and 1.5 million bushels of temporary storage along with a loop rail siding to accommodate a 110-railroad-car “shuttle” unit. Once completed, the structure will allow farmers in north central Missouri and southern Iowa to deliver crops to a modern, high-speed grain facility.
Expanding its assets, in 2013 MFA acquired Producers Grain Company’s assets in El Dorado Springs, Walker, Bronaugh, and Nevada in Missouri.
The co-op was established in 1914 when seven Missouri farmers got together to buy binder twine.