Work at Ernst & Young LLP (EY)? Submit a Review

Women should avoid this place

August 2016 | FORMER EMPLOYEE

None - I left this organization two weeks after they purchased my company so not sure if there are any pros to working here.

Six months into my pregnancy (with my first child) my company was acquired by EY. Initially I was super excited... however quickly became very saddened by the way the company treats new moms. When my offer letter was presented to me I was told that I would not be eligible for EYs maternity leave due to the fact although they had acquired a company that I had been employed at for five years, I hadn't been an EY employee yet for 12 months. Disapponiting but I could live with it. Over the next month I repeatedly asked HR about the FMLA qualification which is also based on 12 months of employment, Short Term disability eligibility or loss of, lost PTO etc. I basically wanted to know if I was getting 6 weeks unpaid or 3 months unpaid. I was told each time that I could not engage with EYs maternity team until the deal closed. Time was ticking on and the stress of not knowing during my pregnancy was just so saddening - I knew I had to leave the company for my own health let alone my baby's health. I quickly found a new job at a company that went out of their way to treat me like one of their own and while I disqualified from both FMLA and short term disability I knew I could never trust neither Society not EY. When I gave my two weeks notice I was told that I could buy vacation days. I worked on a team with 23 men and three women including myself... Not surprising that this was their response.

Fast forward three weeks after leaving the company, a dozen emails later and I am sitting pregnant and without health insurance. Neither company will give me access to Cobra that I've repeatedly asked for. Cobra told me I'm not in their system. I'm paying out of pocket for my ultrasounds and praying that nothing happens to me. Only one week to go until my new coverage kicks in. Unfortunately health insurance companies won't provide short term coverage to pregnant women. Every day I wake up thankful that I didn't end up in the ER the day before.

Shame on them. My client found out what happened a

Comments

If you are pregnant or expecting to have a baby, join with caution!

Auditing at EY

December 2014 | CURRENT EMPLOYEE

The people here can be amazing. Though it 100% depends on the team that you are assigned. I am currently in the search to find another job in a different industry, so I can't say that the brand name of having a Big 4 auditing firm on my resume is truly all that it is hyped up to be.

There are many.
- Be prepared to work in Excel and only Excel. You won't be doing any intense calculations or analyses though, typically just filling out checklists.
- I have never heard of a company that is so understaffed. I can understand wanting to take on more clients and more work, as that directly leads to the revenue, however, I would expect that management would have a plan in place to expand the workforce enough to take on the new work.
- The hours suck. I think everyone knows this prior to going into it, but it becomes exponentially worse when you already don't have enough personnel.
- The pay. The recruiters hype up the pay that you are getting. It will be competitive from the start, but you will soon begin to realize that everyone outside of the company will be getting bonuses and raises that are far greater than what you are/will ever be making here. It was also a nice surprise to find out that you aren't considered for a bonus until 3+ years down the line.
- Don't trust the recruiters. This is what irritates me the most. Though I was promised all of these fantastic things during the recruiting process, I didn't realize that all of it was a facade and would only materialize for a very small percentage of the employees. Don't trust them when they say that people get to work abroad. You first need to fight through 6 years of agonizing work to even be considered, then you will be expected to register for the program. If your main client doesn't have an international business, don't even bother registering because you have no shot at getting it.
- I could go on and on, but unfortunately there is too much work to do here.

Comments

Be careful. I understand that it may look good on your resume, but be cautious of the things that recruiters will do to try to influence you.

Experienced in Information Technology

Cleveland, OH | 2013 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

work from home

long hours, unrealistic expectations of time and budget by managers

Comments

This is a great place to start but does not provide job security. Also, people don't care how much hours you work as long as work gets completed on time. Senior and Managers push blame to Staff if things go wrong and they don't take accountability for their own actions.

Mid-level in Transaction Services

Other | 2013 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

competitive in terms of pay

no benefit aside from the pay

Comments

If anyone has a life outside work then please don't apply to EY; it'll destroy your work life balance

Experienced in Audit & Assurance

Atlanta, GA | 2013 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

There are some good people here and the prestige is great.

Everything besides that those two best aspects.

Comments

Don't do it, don't take the job. Run the other way. If you're good, you'll get thrown under the bus or worked to death and be underappreciated until you leave. If you're terrible and you know you are mediocre or less, this will be great steady pay.

Entry-level in Audit & Assurance

Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

accelerated learning

long hours, extremely poor work life balance, long driving commutes to the client,

Comments

Ernst & Young was honest during the recruitment process. They spoke of the great work balance but upon starting work there really is no work life balance. The firm also was honest about the all the driving involved, spending 3 hours in my car to get to and from the client is not ideal.