Ernst & Young LLP

3.3 of 5 stars Average Employee Rating (of 53 Employee Reviews)

Submit a Company Review

Good employer, but could do a bit more.
December 2014 | Current Employee

Friendly and smart people/teams, work/life flexibility is great, additional time off (i.e. EY firm holidays) for Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day and Thanksgiving

Cost of benefits too high, old technology, salary not competitive with market, no bonuses for core business service groups (i.e. non client facing roles) and limited mobility options.

Comments

There are many facets to this company that are positive, but make sure that you want to work in an accounting firm/industry, as it could limit potential opportunities down the line.

Auditing at EY
December 2014 | Current Employee

The people here can be amazing. Though it 100% depends on the team that you are assigned. I am currently in the search to find another job in a different industry, so I can't say that the brand name of having a Big 4 auditing firm on my resume is truly all that it is hyped up to be.

There are many.
- Be prepared to work in Excel and only Excel. You won't be doing any intense calculations or analyses though, typically just filling out checklists.
- I have never heard of a company that is so understaffed. I can understand wanting to take on more clients and more work, as that directly leads to the revenue, however, I would expect that management would have a plan in place to expand the workforce enough to take on the new work.
- The hours suck. I think everyone knows this prior to going into it, but it becomes exponentially worse when you already don't have enough personnel.
- The pay. The recruiters hype up the pay that you are getting. It will be competitive from the start, but you will soon begin to realize that everyone outside of the company will be getting bonuses and raises that are far greater than what you are/will ever be making here. It was also a nice surprise to find out that you aren't considered for a bonus until 3+ years down the line.
- Don't trust the recruiters. This is what irritates me the most. Though I was promised all of these fantastic things during the recruiting process, I didn't realize that all of it was a facade and would only materialize for a very small percentage of the employees. Don't trust them when they say that people get to work abroad. You first need to fight through 6 years of agonizing work to even be considered, then you will be expected to register for the program. If your main client doesn't have an international business, don't even bother registering because you have no shot at getting it.
- I could go on and on, but unfortunately there is too much work to do here.

Comments

Be careful. I understand that it may look good on your resume, but be cautious of the things that recruiters will do to try to influence you.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Executive in Tax
Philadelphia, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

EY creates a wonderful work culture which supports the professional in serving clients in our wolrd's fast paced and challenaging business environment.

Partner/Principal in Tax
San Jose, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

flexibility

requires a lot of hours in a service business

Comments

EY has more of a teaming culture than anywhere else I know. This ensures that EY brings the best resources to the table for the client which benefits our clients, our professionals, and EY.

Partner/Principal in Audit & Assurance
Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

The people and high performance culture

Sometimes the time committment is more than I would prefer, but I guess that is the case on any team that strives to be the very best.

Comments

If you are committed to a successful career and enjoy a high performance culture, this is the place for you. If you are looking for any easy road, it is not.

Partner/Principal in Audit & Assurance
Raleigh, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Exception people committed to teaming for everyone's success, including our clients and community.

Demanding profession requires sacrifice that can feel uncomfortable at times.

Comments

The leaders are committed to building into each individual to helping them achieve their professional goals, including inspiring and motivating them to achieve at the highest levels.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Experienced in Audit & Assurance
Other | 2014 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Paychecks and vacation

Endless guidance and additional responsibilities with expectations of maintaining budget

Executive in Audit & Assurance
Philadelphia, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

People first culture and fast paced daily interaction with high performing team

Corporate hierarchy. Internal office politics.

Experienced in Audit & Assurance
Salt Lake City, UT | 2014 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

You become associated with a great brand, which is giving you incredible experience and exposure to top-tier clients.

The hours can get long in some stretches.

Comments

I've always felt there are a lot of possibilities and opportunities, whether I stay with the firm, or look to getting into industry because of my experience at EY.

Executive in Tax
Cleveland, OH | 2014 | VERIFIED EMPLOYEE

Tremendous resources of intellectual knowledge to solve issues.

Bureuacracy

Comments

Large firms have changed over the past few years with a greater emphasis on global accounts, mobility, and working in large teams. They have also added layers of oversight and approval that do not exist in smaller firms. If you prefer a structured environment where you can learn a tremendous amount in a short period of time, then I highly recommend a large firm.