Final exams are wrapping up, and it’s time to get ready for a twelve-week long interview—also known as the summer associate program.
Being a summer associate is certainly fun—get ready for delicious meals and enough activities to rival any sleepaway camp. But unless you’ve worked at a law firm before, you’re also likely to run into lots of new situations where the appropriate behavior might not be clear.
Want to test your summer associate IQ? See if you can answer the following questions:
- How often should you check your blackberry at night, on weekends, and during lunch?
- What should you do if you have too much work to handle? What should you do if you don’t have enough work to keep busy?
- How should you prepare for a meeting with an associate or partner?
- What does “business casual” really mean?
- Is it appropriate to drink alcohol at a work function? How much is too much?
- What should you do if you’re not given any work in the department you’re interested in? What should you do if you’re only assigned document review?
- Should you address partners by their first name?
- What does it mean if you’re asked for a “draft” or “first try” at something?
- Do you have to attend all (or any) of the summer associate social events?
- What time should you arrive in the morning and leave at night, if no guidance is given?
- What should you do if you are given an assignment and have no idea where to start?
- How do you handle negative feedback from a senior attorney?
Not sure how to answer all these questions? We at Vault have you covered—join us on Tuesday, May 22nd at 4:30 PM for a free webinar, where we will cover how to handle work assignments, navigate social events and master office etiquette. The panel will be moderated by Rachel Marx, Vault's law editor (and a former summer associate). Panelists will include:
- Wendy Siegel: Director of Recruitment and Marketing and New York University School of Law
- Donna Gerson: Author, Lawyer, and Business Etiquette Expert
- Recruiter from a Vault 100 law firm [TBA]
Click here to register! https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/892414424